Mini Kegs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy90

Reaction score
Hi. I'm just about to start doing some biab brews on a modified grainfather 40l heater. Does anyone recommend mini kegs over bottles for simplicity? It seems to me that by force carbonating and serving from the same vessel would be much easier? I'm talking about the 10l kegs with soda stream gas etc not the bigger cornys. I'm fairly new to this so was wondering if it would be wise to jump straight into kegging rather than starting with bottles, I like the simple idea behind it. Any advice would be massively appreciated, cheers, Jimmy. 😎👍🍻

Has anyone jumped straight into kegging then before bottling? I do like the sound of one vessel rather than loads of bottles. Cheers 🍻

I read a lot and asked friends who have brewed for years and I went straight to kegging, 10L cornies and bottle the excess.
Normally fill a ked plus 6/8 bottles and it takes more time cleaning, sanitising and priming 6 bottles, about 3L than a 19 L keg.

Bottling still has a lot to be said for it, many a brew benefits from age and whilst you can age in kegs just as well, how many kegs will you need? In bottles, if your brew is not that great then just leave it in the bottles until it improves.
I have just moved to kegs and started buying 2 x 5 litre mini kegs and have now got 4 x cornies, I will keg ale's that I think will be best drunk young like Blond Ales and session ales and perhaps Bitter and then bottle any leftover. However I will still brew to bottle without kegging and just bottle, I have noticed that my IPA and stronger beers benefit from age as does my stout and sometimes my bitter. So I wouldn't rule bottling out.

Thanks for your replies guy's! I have some flip top bottles so I think I'll maybe fill a 10l keg (or two 5l) and use the rest up in bottles! Cheers, 👍🍻

Latest posts

Back