5L plastic water containers -- What to do with them?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've bought a few 5L bottles of Tesco water to use in my recent brews (based on forum recommendations). But what to do with the empty containers? I can find a use for one or two in the kitchen but I still have about 8 of the things. It seems a shame just to recycle them, so I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for what to use them for. Some garden purpose perhaps? Plant containers?

I've bought a few 5L bottles of Tesco water to use in my recent brews (based on forum recommendations). But what to do with the empty containers? I can find a use for one or two in the kitchen but I still have about 8 of the things. It seems a shame just to recycle them, so I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for what to use them for. Some garden purpose perhaps? Plant containers?
Split a batch between 4 or 5 of them and dry hop each with a different hop to see which one you like the best. I must admit I've got the same problem: Evian comes in 8 litre containers and I've now got four of them. Why do we have to have so much single-use stuff, I hate throwing out decent stuff.
I kid myself I'm going to find the time to day some one-gallon trial batches of various things. Yeah, dream on.

I use mine for fermenting ginger beer. Dont even use an airlock. Just place cap on gently. Virtually no effort to make. Fiery ginger beer with a cloudy lemonade top is superb.

I use mine for fermenting ginger beer. Dont even use an airlock. Just place cap on gently. Virtually no effort to make. Fiery ginger beer with a cloudy lemonade top is superb.
Thanks - that sounds promising as several members of my family are keen on ginger beer. I'll do a bit of research on recipes but may badger you for yours if I draw a blank.

Thanks - that sounds promising as several members of my family are keen on ginger beer. I'll do a bit of research on recipes but may badger you for yours if I draw a blank.
Here you go then matey
for 10 litres so you may split or only do half
200 gms of finely chopped ginger
1 kg sugar
Boil it all up in some water for 15 mins
Strain ( I use a jam making strainer) and cool and put into your sterile water bottles.
Use a champagne or CML ginger beer yeast
all done in about 20 minutes.

They are good for gallon batches of turbo cider or supermarket juice wines if either take your fancy. Neither take a lot of effort and produce pretty creditable results.

In the garden they make a reasonable cloches for smaller plants to keep the frost off. Cut the bottoms off them, but leave some 'tabs' that you can fold out and put holes in, and peg them down as they blow away otherwise!

Cut the bottom off them and use you can use them as a cloche / mini greenhouse for your plants.

Oh... I didn't see yellow car's post for some reason 🤷‍♂️

They are good for gallon batches of turbo cider or supermarket juice wines if either take your fancy. Neither take a lot of effort and produce pretty creditable results.
I used to use these as DJ's IIRC a 9mm hole drilled in the cap allows an airlock to be used.

I have used them in the past to knock out 5 litre batches of turbo cider

I use my 5l bottles for my beer 🍺. It saves a huge amount of time compared to bottling. They are sterile so this also saves time.
They fit nicely in the fridge if cooling is necessary too. I punch a 20mm dia hole in the top for the beer engine pipe. Obviously, when opened it needs using within a few days, but this is never a problem 😊. As they are not designed to withstand high pressure, they may need venting during the early stages of conditioning, although they can withstand a fair amount of pressure.
When finished they go in the recycling bin, at least they are put to use prior to this.

Last edited:
Back