5l water bottles ok to use as dj's ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did 30 mins ago :thumb:

Thinking of trying this next week, not got any of the ingredients/additives but going to my local hbs this weekend so I'll take a list with me.

I've tried these, but prefer traditional glass demijohns. The main problem I have with the plastic containers is that they have ridged sides which sediment collects on during fining, rather than sinking right to the bottom.

Glass demijohns are great if, like me, you were making wine 20+ years ago and still had them up in the loft, or if you get lucky on freecycle, or manage to spot any at car boot sales or in charity shops.

However, I'm not about to spend seven quid apiece on new ones.

5 litres of mineral water is a quid or less in most supermarkets, and the bottles can be re-used a few times.

The inside ridges can be a nuisance when clearing a wine, but just give the PET a quarter turn every now and then to dislodge the sediment.

I'd suggest setting up an eBay search for "DemiJohn" in your local area, can't remember what it's called now, but basically whenever someone puts some demijohns up for sale on eBay in my local area they email me.

I recently got two for £1.98, the guy was selling 8 and the rest went for around £2.50 each, I did plan to buy more but forgot about them after I'd stuck some bids on.

Good Luck.

(I also got 4 from freecycle, and the rest I've bought from Wilkos, now I have 10 empty demijohns, should have 5 full of Wurzels soon though as I'm filtering and bulk storing 30 bottles from a 5gal carboy I've got later on (if I get around to it...(Don't brackets within brackets look silly!))).

Well, i got all my stuff at the weekend. Tonight I'll be making up WOW, I've read Wurzels original post over the last 2 days too :P No doubt I'll be referring to Moleys how to thread quite a few times too. Never used any of the ingredients before.

Seem to be demis all over the country on ebay just now, very cheap.
I've put 6 up for sale myself!

Latest posts

Back