A AmeriKiwi Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have some new hops in stock and looking for the best way to use some...

I have some Nelson Sauvin pellets and some pacific gem whole hops - will add some cascade into the mix as loving every beer I make with them.
Never used pellets before so not sure of differences ( I have reduced weights slightly ) so very keen on comments.

So far...

40 litres
OG - 1.049

Pale Malt - 7000
Wheat Malt - 350
Crystal - 175

Maybe replace some ( 1kg ) of the pale with Munich :wha:

Pacific Gem - 35g for 90 mins

N Sauvin - 25g for 30 mins
Cascade - 35g for 15 mins

N Sauvin - 30g - 80C Steep
Cascade - 40g - 80C Steep

Yeast Probably S-05, maybe WLP 007

Sean_Mc said:
Looks a nice recipe H, I be tempted to go with s-05 with that :thumb:

I think you are right, my last few beers using WLP 007 have been really dry and I have wondered what it would offer to a pale ale but no sure it will accentuate the hops like S-05

I like to keep my pale ales simple: base malt and some crystal. Certainly nothing wrong with making it more complex but if using C hops, you'll want to let them shine and not the malt. I've not used Nelson or PG before so I can't comment on those but Cascade is spot on.

S-05 is a fine choice and my goto yeast for APAs.

I pretty much always use pellet vs leaf hops. Pellets are a little more concentrated from the weight to AA ratio so I've heard the number 10% thrown around for using more leaf to get the same utilization as with pellets. The only whole hops I've used are my own and I don't know the actual AA% for them. So I've just used the same amounts as I would pellets and that's worked for me. YMMV.

Barry

Back