Vienna Pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptAwol

Reaction score
Following the success of my first German pils lager, I was planning to do more lager with Vienna malt. Unfortunately my bar is only setup for hand pull's, I had intended to fit a few taps for lager and keg beer but this is on hold at the moment as is the new shed/brewery.
So I'm planning to do a Pale Ale with Vienna malt and use a bit of light Munich and some flaked barley, hopping options cascade, admiral, bramling cross. Yeast will be US05 pressure fermenting.
Any comments and or suggestions welcome

Vienna is a very versatile malt so go for your life. I regularly make hoppy pale ales with 25-35% Vienna. I'm sure you'll be fine going higher. Have fun and experiment.

I actually would love to experience a Vienna lager on a beer engine, sounds delicious!

I use vienna often as a base malt for pale ales, reminds me a bit of golden promise. You should be fine.

"Vienna malt is very versatile" ... it's also very variable! Some European sources have it lighter than Pale Malt, I use "Crisp's" Vienna Malt because it appears to be the same stuff as their Mild Ale Malt (which seems impossible to get).

So, Vienna Malt in a "hand-pumped beer"? Certainly! The question is: Will you be able to tell?

Latest posts

Back