a bit of guidence for my 1st biab

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtirKiesh

Reaction score
hi guys, i have been doing kit brews for a while now and want to start venturing into AG (but not head first) so i plan on doing my first BIAB. I have attatched a link with recipe but am a little confused about the amount of liquor i need.

It says Total Liquor 32.6ltr
Mash Liquor 10.7ltr

so do i put a total of 43.3ltr of Liquor in the boil pot at the start and then follow the boil schedule? i know there will be losses to grain and steam which should leave me 23ltr??

I hope this question doesn't sound too dumb:wha::cheers:

IMAG0131.jpg

Total Liquor is mash and sparge liquor together, so that is the total you need to use . . . IOW 32.6L . . . Don't forget your grain will occupy about 1.1L per kilo so you need 37.6L volume in your BIAB Vessel ;)

As I understand it, 32.6l is the "absolute" total amount of liquor for the batch.

Put the 10.7l in your pot and heat up to strike temp, add grains in bag and mash for specified time; while thats going on, heat up the remaining 21.9l; at the end of the mash take the bag out and run the 21.9 litres through the bag and into the pot with whatever was left in there after the mash (I'm guessing there will be around 5 or 6l); preboil volme will around 27 or 28l which after boil will probably be down around the 23l mark

hope this helps.

I've always read it as total is 32.6l, so that’s the total amount of water I’ve used.. I say always although I've only done 4 brews so far. All got very close to the original gravity, and all produced at least 20l of beer.
However as I've got a 33l boiler, I add 25l of water to the pan, bring it up to temp, add the bag and grain and do the mash. I then drain the boiler to a bucket, but leave the bag and grain. I then pour/sprinkle the remaining water through the bag. I also try to get the remaining water close to the mash temp.
As I’ve said I’ve only done 4 so still learning, and the last brew went very wrong somewhere?

BIAB is much simpler than that, heat up the total liquor to strike temp add the bag and grains, give it a stir, at the end of the mash remove the bag and let it drain, heat liquor to boil, once you start complicating it with maxi biab etc then you may was well go all grain. IMNSHO of course :D

Those figures are generic and are based upon a 3 vessel system and there is usually a lot more wastage in terms of water in a 3 vessel system than a BIAB one, due to dead spaces in the mash tun etc. The chances are you will probably over shoot your volumes with that amount, but to be honest you won’t know until you've done your brew. It always takes me a few brews in a new system before I start hitting my numbers cos I don't know what my brew-house efficiency is and liquor volumes are. In terms of mash Liquor volume, ignore that as the beauty of BIAB is you put all your liquor in the 1 vessel at the beginning so it's not applicable. My advice is brew the beer using the 32.6l of liquor and calculate your brew house efficiency at the end of your brew day. Then for your next brew use any brewing software and scale the recipe based on your efficiency, and take it from there.

Here’s a link to calculate your brew house efficiency

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

Good luck

Neil

With biab you put the full amount of liquor in the pot as you mash and boil in the one pot.
You can hold a little water back if you want to do a sparge on the bag to get the last remaining sugar out the grain but I've never found it necessary and always achieve the fg or higher.

Have a look on the biab brewer forum and register to use their bibacus.
This will allow you to scale any recipe to your equipment as boil off volumes will differ depending on the pot you use. It also allows you to up or downscale recipes from gas and other recipes. It looks a little daunting to start but it really is easy when you get your head around it and it's specifically designed for biab.

http://www.biabrewer.info

You'd be better to ask this kind of question on "eht gniwerb murof" (backwards). The knowledge base who were here previously have regrouped there.
For the record, you have looked at a 3V recipe, which would be easy enough to modify for BIAB. Don't add over 40l of water at the start or you'll end up with a massive amount of weak beer.

Latest posts

Back