A look inside Wrexham's new £250m super-prison, HMP Berwyn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the UK judicial system is that no-one seems to understand exactly why we imprison people.

Is it to remove them from society? If so, they deserve decent living conditions.

Is it to punish them for breaking the law? If so then you cannot "punish" someone for twenty years.

Is it to rehabilitate them? If so then they have to be provided with the means by which they can be rehabilitated; and this cannot be achieved if they are locked up for 22 hours a day!

Each of the above needs a different approach to even begin to be successful but prisoners are just lumped together in prisons that vary from HMP Berwyn to examples that were built in Victorian times.

The Victorian prisons were often designed for "one person one cell" occupancy but over 100 years later our prison authorities are stuffing two, three and even four people into the same cells.

Why do they need to do this?

Well, one reason is that the UK has the highest imprisonment rate in the whole of Europe with 148 people imprisoned per 100,000 of the population.

Compared to our neighbours, Germany has 94 (35% less), France has 85 (43% less) and Norway has 66 (a staggering 55% less).

So, are our UK people more "unlawful" than the rest of Europe? Are UK laws much tougher than the rest of Europe? Is the UK judiciary more vengeful than the rest of Europe?

I wish I was nineteen again because back then I had all the answers ... :thumb:

... and now I don't even have all the questions! :doh:

However, if one of my own nearest and dearest was ever locked up I would hope and pray that they were being locked up in a prison similar to HMP Berwyn rather than HMP Dartmoor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn1page1.stm

PS

Check out the article below. Not only does Norway have the lowest imprisonment rate in Europe it also has the lowest rate of people re-offending; and the cells look like good quality hotel rooms! :thumb:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

Been meaning to go up and have a look at the prison but haven't got round to it (have an invite through work)

I bet the same was said when they built the victorian hell holes some poor sods get locked up in..

fact is due to the nature of the accommodation its a forgone conclusion that a fair number of folk who make life miserable for those around em will be moved in there so no ones gonna have fun at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back