A pale ale with Belgian yeast....................

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Someone must have brewed one???????
I have no fermentation temperature control but it hasn't stopped my year round supply of pale ales, though. Recently I decided to brew 2 Belgian style beers with Mangrove Jacks M47 Belgian Abbey yeast. Early impressions are good. The yeast can easily stand 24C during fermentation and my warmest so far was only reaching 22C during the day. It's now a good bit warmer at about 28C in the shade at the back of the house but I'll be using a quarry tile kitchen floor as a heat sink. Today I brewed a pale ale with OG 1.051 and 50g of Simcoe at flameout, cooled to 80C. I pitched reused M47 and so far the temperature has stuck at 23C.
I realise that the yeast will contribute a lot more estery fruitiness than Nottingham ever could so does anyone have experience of something similar? More importantly would you recommend it?

I cant answer you're question, but nottingham can easily take 23C. It doesnt say it on the pack but last summer I had it up to about 27C without any beer ruining off flavours like fusils/diacytls

I've done a couple of Belgian IPAs based on this: http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/santan-supermonk-belgian-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe and a couple of patersbiers (essentially a Belgian pale ale). Did both lots with liquid yeasts though, the Westmalle strain for one lot and the Chouffe strain for the other. Both came out really well but I preferred the Westmalle.

Just out of curiosity, what did they taste like ,as I've never tried a belgian ale, n if I ever decide to make one I think a patersbier would be a good starting point

I brewed a split batch of pale with crossmyloof real ale, us pale and kolsh and the kolsh yeast was the best. My friends said it was better than the bottle of Hophead by Dark Star they had when I gave it to them. I plan on doing the same with a Belgian.

Just out of curiosity, what did they taste like ,as I've never tried a belgian ale, n if I ever decide to make one I think a patersbier would be a good starting point
Very light, refreshing, very yeast-forward in flavour, best head retention of any beer I've brewed. Not hop-forward at all, though you could change that easily enough. Fantastic summery alternative to UK/US pale ales. The Belgian IPA recipe I put earlier with the Westmalle yeast was an absolute beaut though - you could do a patersbier then reuse the yeast for the IPA...

I recently made a Patersbier using the crossmyloof Belgian yeast and I like it a lot. I'm thinking that I will do a pale ale using the same yeast, possibly wait till my home grown hops are ready and do a green hopped beer using those.

Ive been wondering what to do with the kviek yeast @danbriant sent me. This thread has given me an idea, I'll put it a patersbier. I have plenty of saaz and lager malt (instead of pilsner). Should be interesting

I've done a couple of Belgian IPAs based on this: http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-recipe/santan-supermonk-belgian-ipa-clone-homebrew-recipe and a couple of patersbiers (essentially a Belgian pale ale). Did both lots with liquid yeasts though, the Westmalle strain for one lot and the Chouffe strain for the other. Both came out really well but I preferred the Westmalle.

I can get the westmalle strain from bottle conditioned beer (according to the BCB list) but it means I'll have to drink a 7% dubbel. I'm sure I'll manage though

I can get the westmalle strain from bottle conditioned beer (according to the BCB list) but it means I'll have to drink a 7% dubbel. I'm sure I'll manage though
It's a hard life, I'm sure you'll pull through. To be fair I bought it from one of the homebrew suppliers, so if you don't feel like drinking lovely Belgian beer at least you have a choice.

If we're talking US/UK style hopping and Belgian yeast, there are loads of commercial examples from America, such as Stone Cali-belgique, Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. From Belgium look for De Ranke XX Bitter or Brasserie De La Senne Zinnebir or Taras Boubla.

I've done a heavily hopped Sorachi Saison, a Liberty hopped beer with Rochefort yeast and had a bottle tonight of a Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka and Elderflower Pale Ale brewed with Safale Abbaye yeast.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies one and all. It sounds like I'll have something interesting. My pales aim for that US style late hopped flavour. Last night the world cup forced me to drink a bottle of my first Belgian. It was very nice. A hint of sweetness but without betraying it's 6.17% ABV. The M 47 yeast is fairly floccutant. My pale using the same yeast has a good krausen this morning and is at 22C. It will probably rise a degree during the day so I think it's in the right area. I love the flavour that this yeast gives so think I might really be on to something which suits my taste here. I'll look up some of the brews Sadfield suggests for research purposes. Booths supermarket in town has a massive selection of bottled ales.

Last year in the warmer months I tinkered with Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast, its highly flocculent and produced some good pale ales. I used it in all sorts... Brown Ale, Mild Ale, Stout... Everything except a Belgian style beer... :rolleyes:

Back