A quickie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killick Greenie

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a stainless steel false bottom for my 25ltr thermo pot mash tun?

I didnt have the guts to follow the previous instructions on here to fit the drain at the bottom of the tun so mines got the standard tap mod. So I guess the false bottom will have to have some sort of fitting to enable me to get the drain pipe to the tap on?

Thanks guys

Ps three nice new PIDs arrived today from the forum sponsor Cedaronics, waitng to be fitted into the control panel

:drink:

Hi, tap false bottom into ebay & quite a few come up. One seller on there makes them to any size & spec the seller is Mrlard 1 & i believe he is a member on here also. :cheers: ken.

fermentall said:
Hi, tap false bottom into ebay & quite a few come up. One seller on there makes them to any size & spec the seller is Mrlard 1 & i believe he is a member on here also. :cheers: ken.

Thanks mate :cheers:

you can make a false bottom from something easier to work than SS. ive read about plastic chopping boards being used, and i emulated the perspex FB in my off the shelf viking tun in my thermopot with a 450mm x 3mm perspex disc of ebay for £16..

Fil said:
you can make a false bottom from something easier to work than SS. ive read about plastic chopping boards being used, and i emulated the perspex FB in my off the shelf viking tun in my thermopot with a 450mm x 3mm perspex disc of ebay for £16..
A top idea, the ss ones a really expensive
:cheers:

FYI my perspex fb is brand new and untested, some concerns have been raised about not enough drainage holes in my current pattern,, and others trying similar with pumps have found the drainage too slow, ive just learnt.... mine is a work in progress till i can test it properly. perhaps it may just be a slower drainer??..

They're not too bad and you'll always get most of your money back if you come to sell....I'm not sure a plastic one would.
Please be careful when using plastic, make sure it's rated to usage temps ;)

Vossy1 said:
They're not too bad and you'll always get most of your money back if you come to sell....I'm not sure a plastic one would.
Please be careful when using plastic, make sure it's rated to usage temps ;)

Thanks for that and thinking about it I did try to make one out of the missus's steel trays but by the time I'd got half way through drilling the holes I'd lost the will to live and the tray is still a sore point ;)

I did email the site sponsor to see when they would have the 30cm ones back in stock but not heard anything yet.

:cheers:

Back