A right oold hotch potch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
This morning, I kegged off my Old Peculiar clone, but before I washed out the FV, I took a scoop of the crud from the bottom, and added this to half a glass of sugar syrup. This is brewing away quite merrily ready to be added to my Frankenstein brew. (below)

I'm doing a Citra pale, based roughly on HisDudeness's Ghost Ship clone.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55024

But for a laugh (and because i have time on my hands) i decided to do a second run on the grains.

So after I sparged my Pale, I refilled the Mash Tun with about 6 litres at 72 degrees and left it for 30 minutes or so.
I drained this off in to a Demijohn and an empty pop bottle until my main boil was over.

When I'd finished with the boil on my pale, i put all of the spent hops back in the boiler along with the second runnings and gave it a brief boil for about 20 minutes, along with more Irish Moss.

Lets see what happens

I did the same and got very little sugars, about 1010, so I added some sugar to get it up to 1075 and I'm making wine from it.

I dint take a gravity reading.
I guess how long it takes to finish will be an indication.
It's brewing it's head off this morning.

I checked Frankenstein today and he's starting to slow down and clear, so I guess there wasn't a great deal of sugar in it.
I've no real concern what it turns out like, so I racked it off from the trub and added about 250g of sugar mixed in to a syrup.

However, before I did, i couldn't resist a sneaky taste.
It sure is a hoppy little devil, lacking in body though.

I did something like this with left over wort on AG1. I had about 2L of wort left over so I did a quick hop tea added some honey ( I can't for the life of me remember how much) topped it all up to 4.5L chucked it in a DJ beside a rad with a Coopers yeast in on it and actually forgot it. Come bottling day I noticed the DJ and thought it was a leftover fruit punch. I bottled it into 1L bottles with a tsp of sugar no idea OG or FG. Anyway AG1 went the way of the pear, I let the FV get too hot and ended up with with 40 pints of linement. I had one of the Frankenstein brews over the weekend and it was gorgeous, I'd guess about 4.5%, great head. Why oh why did I screw up my AG1? It would have been lovely.

It seems that Frankenstein is dead. :-(
I think killed him with the sugar addition.

Not to worry though, i went to the doctors today who gave me an antidote (a yeast injection), he soon perked up again.

Latest posts

Back