AAArgh - no yeast! Can a PB be used as no chill cube?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Algernon

Regular.
Reaction score
Wanted to get a brew on today.
SWMBO just gently reminded me that I have no yeast, which could bugger the process. Can a pressure barrel be used as a no chill cube (assuming I let a little out via the tap to sterilise the innards as well).
To avoid wasting beer in the tap-purging, could I pre-heat the barrel with a couple of kettles of hot and run them through the tap to clean it / sanitise it?
Can anyone see any huge problems with doing this?
It does have the bonus, in the absence of a chiller or a tap on my kettle, of both collecting trub in the lower part of the barrel and also of allowing me to drop my cold wort from a huge height into the FV for aeration when my yeast arrives.

The idea is good... but I don't know if these are made to withstand boiling wort. Someone at be able help with this.

I would also monitor it as it will expand with the heat, so you may have to periodically loose pressure out of the top, or perhaps leave it open a tad

I reckon a King Keg could handle the heat. Not sure about other makes. If it has s pressure release valve you needn't worry about pressure build up either though you could just leave the lid slightly loose or tap open a bit as suggested above.

Thanks guys.
I regularly clean mine out with boiling water from the kettle without it warping, so i am reasonably confident on the heat. It's a Wilko's one, if anyone has particular experience with them.

But do you fill it with boiling water and leave it? If you just rinse it out with one kettle full that's going to have much less energy than a barrel full.

True, rpt, but if the plastic is stable with a couple of kettles of boiling poured on directly then I am hoping it should be fine with wort a few degrees cooler (see how I am convincing myself here - lol ).
I know the overall amount of energy in a full barrel is vast by comparison, but the actual temperature is what is going to warp / not warp the plastic, rather than the overall number of joules.

According to your signature you have several brews fermenting. Is there no possibility to harvest some yeast from any of these?

You can chill in the FV. I do it all the time. Just pitch when it's cooled. I have never left the wort longer than overnight, but if you can get some yeast quickly enough then it's one less potential source of infection to contact you beer.

Sig is now out of date, Mike. I shall edit it presently. I only have one fermenting atm and it's an imperial stout. I am told it isn't good to step down the gravity when re-using yeast.
Add to that my lack of experience - I have never tried harvesting yeast from previous brews. Having had 3 infections in a row (cheers Wilko, for changing sanitiser brands to one that doesn't sanitise!) I am wanting to be super careful on the infection front. I do now have videne, which if it works as everyone here says it does, will be a lifesaver. Spray and go - it seems ok so far on my latest brew so fingers crossed. I still don't feel confident opening a brew mid-ferment to get yeast out though...

Back