about to dump a brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybrewer

Reaction score
hi all i attempted to brew a batch of cider from a youngs cider kit following the instructions. however following a sudden temperature drop my brew failed to start. I was going to dump it and start again but was told that if i could raise the temp again i could pitch more yeast and restart it. it still hasnt started so i am thinking about sending it "the way of the goldfish" lol and flushing it and trying again so any advice would be greatly apprieciated. I am going to try the youngs again :cheers:

Now hang on a minute, NEVER flush a brew unless it's infected and there's absolutely no chance of pulling it back.

What did the kit include, what did you do, have you got hydrometer readings, is this in a bucket or what sort of fermenter, what's the temperature like now, what second yeast did you use, what timescale are we talking about and what makes you think nothing has happened ?????

hi the kit included can of juice pack of nutrient and pack of cider yeast my hydrometer readings were 1045 when i started not sure what it is today. i am using a 25l plastic fermenting bucket. i brought a submersable beer heater and raised my temp to 20c and i used another youngs cider yeast packet. i first started it last tuesday evening and tried to restart it on saturday evening. as of today there was no action in my airlock or in the brew itself

test the hydrometer reading now,(sanitise it first obviously) your bucket probably isnt air tight so thats why there is no airlock activity.

I would not waste my time with cider kits as turbo cider always turns out well. give it a try and see for yourself.

cant understand how its not moved after adding 2 packets of yeast. have you tested your hydrometer in 100% water to make sure your hydrometer isnt gubbed? either that or you've got 2 duff yeasts, dont throw it out yet, someone will be along to advise a good yeast to get it started, not sure if you can use s04 with a cider kit?

Come on folks, has anyone done a Young's cider kit?

As I don't drink cider, don't brew kits and try to actively avoid anything which says Young's on the label (apart from their cleaner/steriliser powder and Super Yeast Compound), I'm out of my comfort zone here.

If you have any other cider, wine or brewing yeast I think I would suggest making up a starter bottle and pitching when that was going well.

Hi I have one on the go. Started at 1038 after 7 days it was 1032.
Seems slow but is it getting there.

update
i just checked mine
so its day 10 and its now 1.002 OG 1.038

so its getting there but just not the 7 days they claimed, that must be for ideal temp

seems a bit watery unsure what to do with that TBH

Titch said:
update
i just checked mine
so its day 10 and its now 1.002 OG 1.038

so its getting there but just not the 7 days they claimed, that must be for ideal temp

seems a bit watery unsure what to do with that TBH

The champagne yeast has brought it down to 1002, so it will be mouth puckeringly dry and will seem a bit thin (watery).
I'm no cider buff, but I think it is a tad over done and you would probably be advised to back sweeten it with splenda or grape juice.

Have a taste.....decide if you want / need to sweeten it and then get it bottled or kegged.

ATB

i used the standard yeast in the kit

can i add a litre or so of apple juice now or just use sweetner to back sweeten and loose the watery taste?

so if i bottle now and prime will it sort it self out in the bottle?

Im currently drinking my 1st attempt at one of these kits. I think my FG was 998 and it was quite dry but if you add 1 sweetener to a bottle when you drink it its very drinkable! It is a tiny bit watery but i did add to much water when i made it as i misread the label!

i recommend sweetening with apple juice if it to dry. but like mentioned above turbo cider is the best way to make cider on the cheap :thumb:

First brew. So TC will be next .

So I think what ill do is bottle a couple now.
Can I put a couple of litres of Apple juice in the FV before bottling?
Ie decant to another bin add a couple of litres to taste then bottle with some priming sugar?

I did one of these kits in January and tried a bottle last week... it still had a slightly sour taste.... maybe ok with a drop af apple juice or ribena added..... think i will be sticking to TC & Lager in future

If you add more apple juice to the FV, without killing the yeast, it won't sweeten, it'll just keep on fermenting. Therefore if you chuck it in with your priming sugar you'll get at best case a cider fountain, at worst a bottle bomb.

Latest posts

Back