Adapting fridge freezer for controlling temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has struggled to find anywhere remotely cool enough to brew in the last couple months. As such, we have a small white fridge that isn't used much and I intend to use it to control temps with an inkbird. However, there is a modular freezer box at the top. Is it easy enough to remove or disconnect this? Or is it unsafe to do so as a DIY project? Cheers

Loads of videos on how to do this on YouTube. I was looking at them for ages ahead of making my fermentation chamber (luckily I got one without the freezer). Simple enough but just have to be careful with the coolant line.

However, there is a modular freezer box at the top. Is it easy enough to remove or disconnect this?
Sadly, the freezer box is part of the refrigerant circuit which services the entire refrigerator and thus cannot be removed. However, provided you can still fit whatever container(s) you use for brewing in the fridge part, there's no reason you can't still use it as a fermentation chamber as is by adding an Inkbird or similar temperature controller. It's just that the freezer box will be a waste of space, proportionally cooler than the fridge's ambient temperature.

Sadly, the freezer box is part of the refrigerant circuit which services the entire refrigerator and thus cannot be removed. However, provided you can still fit whatever container(s) you use for brewing in the fridge part, there's no reason you can't still use it as a fermentation chamber as is by adding an Inkbird or similar temperature controller. It's just that the freezer box will be a waste of space, proportionally cooler than the fridge's ambient temperature.
Thank you. No worries, I can use it for storing chiller blocks for chilling wort!

Latest posts

Back