Adding Coffee and Vanilla to an Imperial Stout Extract Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added 1.5 tsp of vanilla bean paste style extract to a 15L batch of Bourbon stout, it was there but subtle. Not had a bottle in a couple of months so it might have faded by now as I've heard that vanilla doesn't stay for long.

Never tried coffee but from what I've heard ether "dry-beaning" or adding cold-brewed coffee at bottling are good ways to go. Adding ground beans to the boil can be harsh unless it's a quick steep at flamout.

Good luck.

I was thinking about making up a decent amount of cold brew and throwing it in there while it ferments. With the vanilla my original idea was grab some vanilla pods soak them in some vodka for a few days then chuck the lot into the fermenter a few days after it takes off.

That's a good way to do the vanilla but no reason to add it during active fermentation or you'll blow off the aromatics, same deal with the coffee. Adding both at bottling preserves the flavour and means you can add it to taste doing a small scale test first.

So best way to go about this would be to chuck everything in after fermentation ends mix up up and bottle.

Sound, I generally batch prime for bottling so wont be much extra work to add the extra ingredients.

Latest posts

Back