Adding Hops to Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @BeerCat
There is an interesting post somewhere on a US forum where a guy used the hop basket in the opposite way.
He drilled a hole in the "lid" of one of the hop basket, shortened his dip tube by about 25mm and threaded it into the mesh tube.
He allowed his hops to float freely in the beer but the hop basket acted like a filter, preventing the hops from clogging the dip tube.
He transfers under pressure from the dry hopping keg to the serving keg to avoid extended exposure to hops (which many on this thread seem not to find a problem).
EDIT - here's the page: http://www.itsabrewlife.com/2016/08/13/dry-hop-in-a-corny-keg/

Last edited:
My thinking was that as the beer is drawn from the bottom of the corny - if the mesh bag was sitting at bottom too then it would cause a problem with clouding as a beer is drawn off ??

Hi!
Hop tea for flavour, dry hop for aroma - of course, this is a general basic rule and is wide open for contradiction.
I have read online, a US site, of suspending the hop bag from the Corny lid on a short length of thread so that, as you draw beer from the keg, the hop bag is left high and dry. This means that the hops are not sitting in the beer for the whole time the keg is being used.

wouldn't it be easier just to take them out?

I think temp is an issue, ive found i get better results dry hopping at room temp- dry hopping to cool gives that veggy taste ive found. So id advise if you do it in the keg, take them out before you chill and carb.

I think temp is an issue, ive found i get better results dry hopping at room temp- dry hopping to cool gives that veggy taste ive found. So id advise if you do it in the keg, take them out before you chill and carb.

I've seen it started that the vegetal flavours are from dry hopping at above 14 or 15 C.

Last edited:
Who’s actually eaten grass anyhow...

I have. But never smoked it.

Most of my pale ales are hopped in the keg. I have a roll of muslin tube I just cut a length off sterilise it along with 2 tie wraps. Chuck in the hops in the bag up to 200 gms sometimes, I used to anchor it down with a sterile cobble but don't bother now. I generally have to chew the first pint, but it does taste better than grass. Amazing flavour, but it declines as the beer clears. The flavour is in the cloud, try Cloudwater beer.

Latest posts

Back