Adding yeast to a cider thats finished fermenting..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As far as I can see (no bubbles at all) - my youngs cider kit has finished fermenting, yet the suggest gravity ofg 0.998 has not been achieved, its hovering at 1.002.

If after waiting a couple of days there is no change - whats the worst (or best) that could happen after adding more yeast and giving it a good stir?

Peace! :twisted:

what was your starting gravity (SG)?

sanitise your (plastic or metal ;) ) spoon and give it a gentle stir, flicking up the sediment from the bottom. then see if the gravity drops anymore :thumb:

Ahem... yes.. plastic or em, metal spoon... :lol: (I've got a large plastic one on order!!)

I didnt measure the starting gravity, stupidly. Thinking it was a kit I thaught all would work out great!

If the gravity still says the same by then I'll get my (plastic) spoon and give it a whizzle with some yeast!

But er- what yeast? Cider yeast I guess?

i'd give it at least a day after rousing to see if there's been any action before adding more yeast, but you can of course be doubly sure by adding more if you want ;)

kits are actually alot more prone to sticking than Extract or All Grain brewing.. infact i dont think i've ever had a stuck AG brew... but suffered sticks on 1/3rd of the kits i did. mind you, ive never got a stuck TC either!

it's always a good idea to keep a spare pack of yeast and maybe some yeast vit on standby when doing kits. only prob with yeast vit is it turns some of the unfermentable sugars into fermentable... so yes you get the % you aimed for, but at the risk of flavour loss when it flies under your target gravity! :shock: .

get yourself on the AG bandwagon mate :lol: ... no seriously.. you'll never look back, and it's so much more fun! well... if you like beer aswell as cider :lol:

Ah yes I'm a beer man! Can't stand strongbow or any of that ****... thats why I wanted to try my hand at some ciders :cheers:

I'll get around to AG beer brewing as soon as I know exactly what I need, and need to do!

great stuff :cool:

be sure to photograph and document everything for all to see :thumb:

Latest posts

Back