Adnams Ghost Ship

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I also took the tour about 5 years ago. It was only my second brewery tour (after Black Sheep) and I was kind of expecting it to be a case of seen one, seen them all, but very much not the case, and a pretty modern/automated set-up at Adnams. The only shame was that I was driving that day!

I did the tour this year and Southwold is a beautiful place. Ghost Ship is one of my regular favourites. Eastern Edge collab with Sierra Nevada is pretty good too. Apparently their gin and other spirits are very popular, but that's a separate tour.

I love Ghostship and have tried to brew something similar a few times. There’s a prominent spice flavour that I’ve been looking to replicate through using Rye so can see that adding a farmhouse yeast a few days in could work well. However, although the Citrus hoppy flavour comes through on the original, I’m really surprised that there are as many as 337g hops in a 20 odd litre batch! And why the need for 2 x packs of S-04?

I did wonder that myself Benfleet, it would be a Hop Bomb with over 300g of hops which I am sure it is not.
CC said that the recipe he has is less than half the hops which sounds nearer the mark

I love Ghostship and have tried to brew something similar a few times. There’s a prominent spice flavour that I’ve been looking to replicate through using Rye so can see that adding a farmhouse yeast a few days in could work well. However, although the Citrus hoppy flavour comes through on the original, I’m really surprised that there are as many as 337g hops in a 20 odd litre batch! And why the need for 2 x packs of S-04?
They talk about the yeast in the Ghost Ship video, and in the MM end of year video on YT they said that apparently we are all under-pitching S04. I think have never had a problem using only one pack though!

They talk about the yeast in the Ghost Ship video, and in the MM end of year video on YT they said that apparently we are all under-pitching S04. I think have never had a problem using only one pack though!
Might explain why a lot of us don’t like the taste of S-04

Back