ADVICE BEFORE I POUR MY BREW DOWN THE DRAIN PLEASE.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmy

Reaction score
help!!! ive had my dockland porter in the FV for 3 weeks now and the reading just wont go down. its still at 1.009 to high to bottle. plus it smells like vinegar. I don't know where I went wrong ive had it tightly coverd with a airlock fitted and it was bubbling away nicely for the first week. is this the end of my brew!!! any advice would be great.

sounds grand to me 1009 is a good reading, ignore the smells at this time unless they are stomach turning.... get it bottled and wait a few weeks, taste then decide

what was your starting gravity reading ?

oh sorry that was the wrong reading, its 1.015? is this still to high the first reading was 1.038 and like I said smells and tastes like vinegar

just a little....keep it warmish for another week ( perhaps give it a GENTLE stir ) you want to be looking at 1012/1010 for bottling on an ale.

I have not made this kit, but I have seen that this one quite often sticks at around 1.015, so you are probably okay to bottle. A few weeks in the bottle and I am sure it will taste fine.

yes my bad read...a porter can be a little bit higher than the readings I quoted

I would bottle. Brewed this same kit last year and according to my notes on the 16th August it was down to 1.016 after 9 days brewing, i left it 2 more days then bottled. Very nice brew.

Back