AG#2 Timothy Taylor Landlord Maxi style!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnie

Reaction score
This time I used a proper mashing and sparging bag instead of a large piece of voil, which made the whole process smoother and a lot less messy. One of the best £8.75 I have spent!

I used the recipe from GW's book, which I'm sure every one is familar with, so here goes!

Grain

Grain in at a strike temp of 71 and was mashed at 66 for 90 mins. I needed to apply more heat half way through as I'd lost a couple of degrees. Finished on 65 degrees at the end of the mash, so much better there compared to my AG#1

Hops at the ready!

Bag pulled with about 15ltrs of liquor left behind before sparge. (1070)

1st Sparge underway in my 16ltr pot. I added 3 ltrs of just off the boil water, dumped in the grain, then rinsed with another 3ltrs. I then stirred and left for 15 mins with the lid on, whilst my liquor was heating up ready for the boil.

Boil underway (1065)

1st lot of hops whirlpooled in!

2nd smaller sparge underway, bagged pulled!

Remaining Sparge to be added during boil

Final hops added

Chilled for 4 hours in my sink and re-hydrated my SA-04 yeast ready to pitch at 10pm last night!

As I said earlier, It went so much smoother then last week. I ended up with 15ltrs in my FV at an og of 1058. I then used a formula to work out how much I needed to dilute down to, to get to my target og of 1042, which was 5.7ltrs. That left me with just over 20.5ltrs of Timothy Taylor wonderfulness :D

But that is off a grain bill that was meant to deliver 23ltrs, so more efficency needed next time and some more little adjustments.

:cheers:

I did this last Friday, but using a full set up. Just finished fermenting, I used Notty yeast and it went off like a rocket!

Hope yours turns out well.

You probably brewed this before I posted in your AG#1 thread on mashing out by stirring and reheating to 78C. As I said there you can alledgedly gain up to 5 points of efficiency compared to a straight sparge. I was shocked to get 89.66% from 4kg of Maris Otter in 28l of strike water. It yielded just shy of 22l of wort which I added water to to make it up to 23l @1046 OG.

If you add your weight of grain to this equation you can calculate efficiency.

(OG-1000)*100/(Weight of grain*295/litres of wort)=%efficiency

If you post your grain weight I'll do the sums. I realise that not everyone likes equations. My wife could never work that one out and she's a teacher. God help the youth!

Good post, it sounds like a good day brewing.

I received a very similar looking bag today in the mail and look forwards to having a go myself. This looks like a very popular beer to do.

Not much time as I'm just off to attempt at running round a football pitch again, but just to add that I have made a brewing school boy error in not temp correcting my gravity levels!

So it looks as though I could have got more beer in the FV?!

Scott said:
I did this last Friday, but using a full set up. Just finished fermenting, I used Notty yeast and it went off like a rocket!

Hope yours turns out well.

Well Scott, this too went off really quickly. I pitched at around 10pm and the following morning it was well on it's way. I'd never even re-hydrated yeast before my 1st AG, preferring to just sprinkle it on the top and to be honest have never had a problem with fermentation. But I must say I'm well impressed with how quickly the re-hydrated yeast gets about the sugars, so will be doing it for every brew now.

I'd be interested to know how yours turns out using the full set up.

:cheers:

Duxuk said:
You probably brewed this before I posted in your AG#1 thread on mashing out by stirring and reheating to 78C. As I said there you can alledgedly gain up to 5 points of efficiency compared to a straight sparge. I was shocked to get 89.66% from 4kg of Maris Otter in 28l of strike water. It yielded just shy of 22l of wort which I added water to to make it up to 23l @1046 OG.

If you add your weight of grain to this equation you can calculate efficiency.

(OG-1000)*100/(Weight of grain*295/litres of wort)=%efficiency

If you post your grain weight I'll do the sums. I realise that not everyone likes equations. My wife could never work that one out and she's a teacher. God help the youth!

Temp corrected 73%, so big improvement on AG#1 :pray:

Thanks for that equation!

By the way my grain bill was 4280g and I ended up with 20.5ltrs at a temp corrected OG of 1045

Well done. 73% is a good figure. There's less waste with BIAB so this is a figure many OG brewers could only dream of!
I made sure I didn't add the last bit after I'd boiled the hops today as it looked a bit murky. So I accepted a small loss of efficiency to keep it a bit clearer. Quality is definitely more important than trying to achieve high efficiency figures.
I went to the Hawkshead brewery bar a couple of weeks ago. Their latest brew was their standard lager for which they'd got 98% efficiency!

Duxuk said:
Well done. 73% is a good figure. There's less waste with BIAB so this is a figure many OG brewers could only dream of!
I made sure I didn't add the last bit after I'd boiled the hops today as it looked a bit murky. So I accepted a small loss of efficiency to keep it a bit clearer. Quality is definitely more important than trying to achieve high efficiency figures.
I went to the Hawkshead brewery bar a couple of weeks ago. Their latest brew was their standard lager for which they'd got 98% efficiency!

98% :shock: bloody ell!!

I think mine would be a bit higher if I used Marris Otter pale malt instead of the Bairds pale malt, I've heard a few say that they cannot achieve the same efficiency levels with the Bairds...

This brew is less then 3 days old and is down to 1006 already and pretty much clear so I think it's finished! I'll leave it for 10 days in total though before I bottle.

It's right what they say about AG. There's no way I'm going back :grin:

Latest posts

Back