AG#3 Father's day brew - A Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at knocking out a Brown Ale this Sunday (from a clone book) for AG#3:

Brew length 19L
4200g Maris Otter
60g Crystal malt
60g Chocolate malt
30g Black malt

25g Target @ 90mins
15g EKG @ 45mins

Yeast S-04

OG 1051
FG 1013
IBU 26
ABV 4.7%

Fingers crossed the hoses on my chiller are now secure so there won't be any unplanned liquoring back at chill time :)

Oops sorry forgot to say - Newcastle Brown Ale.

Used to drink it by the bucket load in my youth, didnt touch it for 20 years then bought some on offer couple of weeks back and it brought the memories flooding back :)

Found a distinct lack of Target hops existing in my brew cupboard so used my only alternative, Northern Brewer. Hope this will be ok, apparently its a similar AA level?!

Also forgot the campden tablet whilst being sidetracked by the The Boy (who also managed to sneak into some photo's as you will see). I put it in pre-boild wort instead, as I saw this can be done online somewhere. Again hope it will be ok :pray:

OG was 6pts below target, maybe because I liquored back too much despite only reaching 19L. I wonder if too quick a sparge may also have contributed? Anyway, wound up at [email protected]'C, which corrects to 1045. Maybe I'll get it below 1010 in the ferment and make it up at the other end. No huge shame if not, 4.5% is perfectly adequate for my general needs :)

At least the hoses stayed attached to my chiller this time.

Grain:

DSCF0222.jpg

The camera steadfastly refused to focus on the thermometer whilst trying to capture the mash temp, but it was 67'C which is just about right according to the book. On to the boil:

DSCF0228.jpg

Hoses on the chiller, where they belong:

DSCF0233.jpg

Yikes - very low OG, plus The Boy:

DSCF0237.jpg

19L ... I think I may have rushed a few things today and caused a problem or two more than usual :(

DSCF0241.jpg

A good day really, but a little disappointed with the low OG :(

Latest posts

Back