AG 31 Forest Fruit Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
For my next brew, whilst running very low on ingredients I thought I'd make use of some of the Blackberries I grew this year.

I would welcome any opinions, particularly on the amount of Blackberries I am putting in, do you think it will be enough? Or is it too much?

Thanks

Blackberry Mild

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 19.6 (EBC): 38.6
Bitterness (IBU): 26.6 (Average)

70.71% Maris Otter Malt
25.25% Caramalt
4.04% Chocolate

1.3 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

6.7 g/L Blackberries @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Good choice of hop too!!

I recently did Blackberry and apple stout,

used well over a kilo of blackberrys in 25litres and you can tell that they are there but not overpowering.

Be careful of the head retention, mine comes out of the bottle like a soda fountain but falls pretty quickly, I used some rolled oats and torrified wheat as I heard that fruit beers struggle with the head.

I am left with the stout has an almost ruby colour, very dark it is, the head when its there has a very dark creamy colour. A lovely beer and one I will do again and again when i can find blackberrys.

I put the blackberrys in for the last 15 mins of the boil, I had to crush them to the side of the copper as they would not break down!

Hi steve I would add a lot more berries. When I do my elderberry stout I add the juice of 1lb per gallon so that is about 100g per litre. Admitedly it is in a 1070 beer if that makes any difference. I juiced the elder berries so as not to extract to much tannin. It turned out really good the fruit added sweetness and almost vinosity like drinking stout and port.

Good choice of hop I used that as well with the stout.

So lots more blackberries, some wheat an some oats. That's good I have all that in stock.

Thanks for the help, I've never put fruit in beer before.

Fruit is dark malty beers is definitely a good thing. I would have thought the sharpness of the blackberries will sit well with the sweetness of the mild.

I haven't managed to do my elderberry stout this year but I have got 10lb of elderrberries waiting in the freezer for a 1080 oatmeal stout. Hopefully ready for christmas 2012 if I get my **** into gear in the new year.

Well, SWMBO said there was no way I was putting all of the Blackberries in the beer, she has other plans for them :(

So I had a dig around the Freezer, I have some blueberries, some raspberries, some redcurrants and some Blackberries.

We are now going for a Forest Fruit Mild, with a bit less fruit than I would like but hopefully with the Bramling Cross as well it should be reasonable. P.S. I'm using Lager Malt as it's all I have left.

Forest Fruit Mild (Fruit Beer)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 17.3 (EBC): 34.1
Bitterness (IBU): 25.0 (Average)

62.96% Lager Malt
18.52% Caramalt
7.41% Oat Malt
7.41% Wheat Malt
3.7% Chocolate

1.3 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

37.5 g/L Mixed Fruits @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Hi there,I'm not as advanced you as the moment. Got an extract English pale ale kit to bottle up soon.
I'm going to put an all in 1brewferm pilsner extract brew on.
Split it in half 3 days before bottling and add raw ginger to 1 half.
Want to add a fruit infusion to the other half.
Wasn't sure what fruit would go with pilsner,but I was veering towards pear or peach. If I can't get fresh, bearing in mind I'm in Northern Ireland)

Apologies,I'm texting while bottle feeding my baby son. If I can't get fresh fruit then would tinned fruit in fruit juice be OK?

Latest posts

Back