AG#4 Hefetryzum I (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtim

Landlord.
Reaction score
After 6 days in the bottle my patience ran out.

i-QmcmDCS-L.jpg

Wheat beers are so tasty, I used to drink loads when I was in Germany, for my first one I thought I'd pick a middle of the range fermentation @ 20 C and sure enough it's tasting balanced between spicy and banana, I prefer them a bit more spicy, so will try a lower fermentation temp for the next one. Also I think got my bottle priming calculation wrong using dextrose I used 125g for 18 litres when I should have used nearer 300g, there is good carbonation but not the prickly carbonation normally associated with the style (that or I just opened the first bottle too early ;) )

Pittsy's inspiration and postings on here helped me, I also bought the Wheat book by Stan (and 25Kg of Wheat Malt & 25Kg of Pilsner). :hat:

For a corny sized batch, I used:

Grain - 3.2Kg Dingemans Wheat Malt (67%)
Grain - 1.37Kg Dingemans Pilsner Malt (28%)
Grain - 0.2Kg Acid Malt (4%) (Lactic Acid arrived too late for this brew)
Yeast - WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale 180 billion cells.
Water - Campden, sodium chloride in with the grains.

Stats
OG 1.045
Expected ABV 4.6%

Mash
Total liquor 37L
Mash in 27L @ 45 C
Step 1 Ferulic 45 C for 20 mins
Step 2 Saccharification 63 C for 30 mins
Step 3 Saccharification 71 C for 30 mins
Step 4 Add 10L @ 78 C
Step 5 78 C for 10 mins

Boil
90 mins.
30g Saaz 90 mins

Equipment

Braumeister 50L with the 20L mash pipe, Minibrew 8G plastic conical fermenter, STC controlled Beko Larder fridge, Corny keg & CO2, Blichmann beer gun, Beersmith 2

Fermentation
Pitch @ 20 C
Down to 1.012 after 5 days, skimmed yeast, raised temp to 22 C
Down to 1.010 after 10 days, cooled to 8 C for 4 days.

Packaging & Conditioning

Into bottles @ 8 C after 14 days
Batch primed with 125g dextrose (use more next time)
6 days or more @ 20 C
1hr 15mins or more @ 4 C before serving :party:

Sampled @ 6 days in the bottle ready to drink :thumb:

Looking good , i'm glad you didn't use 300g of sugar as they would be blowing up by now , that is double to what is needed . 160g of sugar is the most of used and that was for a 24l batch and very fizzy . Fermenting at 18c will be a crisper beer , less banana and a little more clove , 22c good clove and a little more banana . :cheers:

pittsy said:
Looking good , i'm glad you didn't use 300g of sugar as they would be blowing up by now , that is double to what is needed . 160g of sugar is the most of used and that was for a 24l batch and very fizzy . Fermenting at 18c will be a crisper beer , less banana and a little more clove , 22c good clove and a little more banana . :cheers:

Phew *wipes brow* I was looking at online calculations after I primed and thought that Dextrose needed more than just plain sugar.

Still all's well & tasty with nice fluffy head and with 3 weeks brewday to drinking is bloody brilliant, I'll need to get another on for Xmas as this one will be gone in double quick drinking time.

:cheers:

Nice one Tim, :thumb: my inaugural brew was a Bavarian Hefe on my 20L Braumiester!

Still playing around with the best method of stopping hops from blocking outlet!

Got some perforated stainless plate on order and the use of a folder and tig set at work.
Hopefully be able to knock up a form of hop filter.

Enjoy your hefe :clap:

Baldbrewer said:
Nice one Tim, :thumb: my inaugural brew was a Bavarian Hefe on my 20L Braumiester!

Still playing around with the best method of stopping hops from blocking outlet!

Got some perforated stainless plate on order and the use of a folder and tig set at work.

I notice that Spiedel now produce one which is sounding similar to what you may be making, just a simple perforated stainless box that can lowered over the outlet once the malt pipe has been removed. You'll have to let us know how it goes :thumb:

brewtim said:
Baldbrewer said:

I notice that Spiedel now produce one which is sounding similar to what you may be making, just a simple perforated stainless box that can lowered over the outlet once the malt pipe has been removed. You'll have to let us know how it goes :thumb:

I noticed the Spiedel model , but I balked at €70 +p&p , I bought the plate for a LOT less ;)

Baldbrewer said:
brewtim said:
Baldbrewer said:

I noticed the Spiedel model , but I balked at €70 +p&p , I bought the plate for a LOT less ;)

It also doesn't solve the 'having to tip the pot to get most of the wort out' problem either!

brewed one very similar to this without the acid, went down to 1013 after 12 days at 22C. it aint going anymore so now its cooling at 10ish for a week before i bottle.

JonnyD said:
brewed one very similar to this without the acid, went down to 1013 after 12 days at 22C. it aint going anymore so now its cooling at 10ish for a week before i bottle.

Nice one, hope it turns out well :thumb:

5 weeks from brewday, mine has matured to my taste, faded banana, more clove/spice, very refreshing, more like the Weizen's you get on tap in Germany. It can be poured clear too, if you don't want to rouse the yeast.

The major problem I have is that I'm down to 10 bottles left, so I need to get another on the go in time for Christmas :drink:

Back