AG#45 Oaty Stoaty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the nights are drawing in and the cold weather starts I thought it was time to get some delicious oatmeal stout on the go, then we have a heatwave :lol: .............Anyway its all weighed out for an early start tommorrow so we can hit the beach around midday :cool: :drink: :P

Oaty Stoaty 46litres (slight tweak from my Old Stoat recipe)

5000g Pale Malt
1000g Wheat Malt
1000g Oat flakes (toasted in the oven till starting to darken)
500g Caramalt
500g Munich malt
400g Choc Malt
100g Roasted Barley
100g Black Malt
500g Demerera Sugar

30grams Pilot and 30grams E.K.G for 90mins boil

Expected OG:1046 Expected FG.1011
IBU:27.8 SRM:26.5 ABV:4.5%

Will be pitching dried notty :thumb:

Good job i`ve got plenty of heffe chillin in the fridge :cool:

Happy brewing ;)

That looks a great recipe is it one you have done before? Are you doing a glucan rest with the oats.

Alemans effin oatmeal stout is a good start, but not the one in recipies he has changed since then. Very good and if you have any elderberries in the freezer what about an elderberry stout. If you make it about 6% with 1lb of elderberries per gallon it is like stout and port which is always a good combination. Then once you have that you can braize some beef or venison in it :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
That looks a great recipe is it one you have done before? Are you doing a glucan rest with the oats.

This is my second oaty stout - slight tweak of my first recipe which is here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13573
I did a glucan rest on that one but i`m not this time as went shopping whilst mash was on :? , also I used oat malt and porridge oats in the first and in this i`m going with more toasted porridge oats and wheat malt :thumb:

gurtpint said:
Looks yummy. Does the sugar contribute a lot to the flavour or is it used just to boost the ABV?
Just boosting the ABV so I can make 46litres :whistle:(i`m really pushing it squeezing 8.4kg of grain in my tun :eek: ) using demerera because its brown and may add some flavour but probably wouldn`t be noticable with all the dark malts.

When I build my brewery (when I have a garage or outbuilding so some time off :( ) I`ll be looking to do 60litre brews :drink:

Gonna upload a few pics..................

Just finished the boil, here are a few pics of the prep and brewday - then its of to the beach in the sunshine :D

Toasted the oats last night, before and after shots
IMGP5124.jpg
IMGP5128.jpg

Grains
IMGP5130.jpg

VERY full mash tun :lol:
IMGP5131.jpg

Mashed in and out at 68degrees
IMGP5132.jpg
IMGP5133.jpg
IMGP5134.jpg

Lovely dark and sticky :cheers:
IMGP5135.jpg

IMGP5136.jpg

Boiler was full as well :lol:
IMGP5137.jpg
IMGP5138.jpg

Have a great day everyone - 46litres @ 1048 :cool:

Looking good! Got it about your sugar addtition. I'll be doing a dry stout next and wonder if it would benefit from some dark molasses... I think I'll be using some flaked oats too but just for the mouthfeel, leaving them untoasted.

Sounds great gurt, i`ve used black treacle in an old peculier clone and it worked really well - just go easy a couple hundred grams in a 23l brew and you can really taste it :D

79 pints bottled tonight :D finished at 1014 which I'm really happy about - tastes lovely I had a pint straight from the FV :drink:

rickthebrew said:
79 pints bottled tonight :D finished at 1014 which I'm really happy about - tastes lovely I had a pint straight from the FV :drink:

:party: I want to try a stout with Nottingham yeast as well, but have to use up my s-04 sachets first.

Latest posts

Back