AG#8 - Rosemary and Honey Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olriley

Regular.
Reaction score
Just got this on, since there is so much rosemary in the garden! Bit of an experiement.

Recipe Name: Rosemary Ale
Brew Length: 23 L
Efficiency: 75.0 %
Mash Minutes: 90 Minutes
Mash Temperature: 65.0 °C
Boil Minutes: 90 Minutes
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham - (Nottingham)

Fermentables:
Pale Malt - Maris Otter Grain 5500g
Honey Sugar 200g

Bittering Hops:
Northern Brewer 25g 10.6%AA 90 min
Goldings, East Kent 10g 6.5%AA 90 min

Aroma Hops:
Bramling cross 5g at zero minutes
Flavourings: Rosemary circa 20 sprigs, at zero minutes

Expected OG: 1057 points
Expected FG: 1014 points
Expected ABV: 5.6 % The expected alcohol content based on OG and FG
Expected IBU: 33.4 IBU
Expected SRM: 5.8 SRM

All brewed, come up short which is usual for me, got about 20L and FG is 1062 so will liquor back tomorrow by 1750ml to get 1057. Other than that, all is good. Pics tmrw. Wort tasted good - definite rosemary kick.

Definately like to hear how this one goes!! I love rosemary and have loads in the garden that I cook with, but not sure if it would be too overpowering :hmm:
Let us know how it turns out please!

Cheers,

erl :drink:

Well, the verdict is in, and its good. The rosemary adds a quite delicious piney, lemony flavour and the beer has a nice dry finish. It drinks quite rich and is more a sipping beer (like a leffe) than a quencher. I think it could carry a little more alcohol and a tad less rosemary (but only a tad) as it is bordering on medicinal, but perhaps with a little coriander to accentuate the citrus flavours. This is definitely going to get a re-brew, but right now it is just being enjoyed! :cool: :cheers:

P1060716.JPG

It looks very tasty. Good job summing up... am tempted in new year to do some off-the-beaten-path beers with a few additions... will consider this one.

Doesn't sound too bad at all :thumb:

I'll add to to the list of "to do's" Might go well with a lamb roast!?!.

What was your final OG?

erl :drink:

Cheers guys. It measured as per the recipe in the end.
It's pretty different but everyone who has tried it so far likes it, and is definitely worth experimenting with.
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back