AG#9 - Tomahawk IPA - now with pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadfordbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm brewing this tonight. It'll be served on the bar at the Northern Craft Brewer event at Saltaire Brewery 31st March. I'm bricking it! but here goes nothing.

Malts:
Maris Otter Pale Malt (4.6kg) – 90.4%
Munich (200g) – 3.9%
Wheat Malt (200g) – 3.9%
Crystal Malt 60 (90g) – 1.8%

Hops (all leaf):
Pilgrim 28g – 11.2% @60mins
Cascade 40g – 7.6% @30mins
Cascade 40g – 7.6% @5mins
Columbus 10g – 16.5% @5mins
Columbus 40g – 16.5% (flame out / steep 20 mins)
Columbus 50g – 16.5% Dry Hop 5 Days

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5.5% ABV
Bitterness: 64.9 IBU (average)
Colour: 7.0 SRM / 13.7 EBC
Yeast: Safale US-05
Mash: 60mins @ 66c
Boil: 60mins

Here's the pumpclip design (will change the abv):
IMAG0006-1.jpg

A fairly straightforward brewday (night). HLT on for 17.30 and all wrapped up by midnight, which is early by my usual standards. This was the first brew using my new thermometer, and got a little carried away taking pictures of temperatures :D

Grist temp (16C), my Brewing Assistant assured me he could gauge the temperature with his hand, but I took a quick reading just to make sure :D
IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

Mashed in with 12.7L liquor with strike temp of 75C to achieve 67C mash. I know that I lose 1C over 60-90mins so compensate for that. 66C at the end of the mash.
IMAG0056.jpg

Running the wort off from the mash tun. Sparged with a further 20.6L of liquor heated to 86C to achieve sparge strike temp of 78C. I collected 26L of wort (targeted 28L). I didn't try to adjust the volume at this stage.
IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Transferred to the copper and boiled for 60 minutes with the hop additions as above.
IMAG0060.jpg

Running to the FV after the boil. Collected 23L, 1.054, 22C. My final volume should have been 24L at 1.056.
IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

Cooled and pitched US-05 yeast at a slightly low temp of 18C (03/03/12). Fermentation was slow to get going due to a few silly things. I didn't let the yeast get to room temp from the fridge, pitched at 18C instead of recommended 20C, forgot to aerate before pitching. :?
Anyway, US-05 is a brilliant yeast for numpties like me and it was going well after 14 hours. Smells great too!!!! :party: I will be dry hopping in the cask too.

I likes it! S-05 is likely to go quite a bit lower than 1.014 (my latest IPA using that finished at 1.004...) , so you're probably going to have a bit of a head thumper in your hands soon enough :D

gurtpint said:
I likes it! S-05 is likely to go quite a bit lower than 1.014 (my latest IPA using that finished at 1.004...) , so you're probably going to have a bit of a head thumper in your hands soon enough :D

;) I'll be happy enough if it goes a bit further, I missed my target by a margin. I just hope it doesn't go to far and leave me with a thin, dry beer :shock:

Looking good :) I'm looking forward to tasting the columbus in both yours and my own beer :)

Cheers Rick!

Ade,
Dry hopped this with a further 15g Columbus (all that I could fit into the strainer) and then I'll put a further 40g in the pin! Nervous about dry hopping it (first time I've tried it), stressing about infection!

I think its pretty safe really, hopefully we'll be pellet dry hopping some beers in the FV at work soon too :)

broadfordbrewer said:
A quick update. This won me best cask beer at the Northern Craft Brewers event at Saltaire Brewery on Saturday. Yey!

Well done! :cheers:

It looked like a decent brewday.

Is that cold break material in the sample jar pic?

Latest posts

Back