AG finishing gravity 1.020

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm referring to your previous post at 9:30 today but don;t know how to get the 'quote message in reply' to work. :doh:

10.51mgCA/l calcium
0.63mgmg/l
28.80 Hardness as mg/l CaCo3

Aye, turns out I have very very soft water! Next to nothing in it, calcium is very low so mash and yeast health must be suffering.

My local brew store has burton salts which is what you are on about with DLS.

Am currently reading up on water treatment so I think I'll return to da star for yeast and get my calcium and magnesium to a minimum level.

I suppose the silver lining with my water being the softest is I now have a good reason to focus on making a great Pilsner as my water is perfect for that seeing as it's pretty much rainwater!

Check the ingredients on the burton salts..brewpaks do burton water crystals which are a mix of calcium sulphate and magnesium sulphate.... this is a different product to brewpaks dry liquor salts (mix of calcium sulphate and calcium chloride). Since you have a 'clean' starting point with your water I'd personally buy some calcium sulphate (gypsum), calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) so you can tinker with the ratios of chloride and sulphate as well as calcium depending what type of brew you are doing.

Back