Dry Hopping AG Italian Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first AG brew is ticking away nicely in the All Rounder at 14C in the ferm fridge. I'm down from 1.045 to 1.022 in 3 days at ~10psi.
I have 75g of Ella hops to add as a dry hop. The GetErBrewed instruction sheet say to do this once below 1.020, and to dry hop for 2-3 days before kegging.
However.. should I wait for the fermentation to finish (ie steady at target FG of 1.009 for a day or two), then dry hop for 2-3 days before cold crashing for 2-3 days? Is there a benefit to dry hopping before fermentation has finished and in effect overlapping the finishing fermentation with the dry hop time? Will it benefit from a Diacetyl rest before cold crash as I'm brewing at a low temp? Its a Diamond Lager yeast.

Well Neil how many answers would you like, there are many views on this so I will give you mine then I am sure you will get others digest and make your choice.
I would dry hop after the main fermentation has slowed usually 3 or 4 days. Drop the hops in a veggie bag(Aldietc)with a couple of sanitised dessert spoons SS of course to weigh the hops down. After the 3 days dry hop remove them. At this point you could raise the temp for a Diacetyl if you want to do one then after that cold crash, bottle or keg and lager if you are doing it that way

Thanks. The kit includes the hops in a tea bag - so I'll just chuck that in. Interesting that you say to then remove them. I usually just loose hop so can't do that unless I use a bag! Assume thats to avoid grassy flavours developing if they're in there too long?
I have a DIY hop bong on the All Rounder so had planned to loose hop through that. But if you dont think oxygen will be an issue, then I'll go down the route of the tea bag then fishing it out.

All I am doing is giving you one option, mine is probably classed as old style with the upcoming of pressure fermenting etc.
You do have to be careful of oxygen ingress and sanitation when removing the hops but the beer will still be producing co2 so it will be less of a risk albeit in smaller amounts, I personally have never had a problem but wait for other answers and make your choices then Neil.
I am sure you will get different advice none is wrong it usually depends on your processes and no 2 brewers are exactly the same method

I would wait for fermentation to finish before dry hopping a pilsner. I would also be cold crashing for at least 2 - 3 weeks and not days.

Back