AG No. 3 & 4 Plus Heat Exchange Wort Cooler plus pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokDok

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

21.4.12 second ever brew. First one a few weeks ago went very quickly.TTL & London Pride. Creature of habit -we'll do the same again - hope to remember the Irish Moss this time and one or to other improvements. Boiled the water a day or two before and stored it in the FVs.
Still very excited about all this apologies in advance if this seems a bit whippersnapperish.

Up at 7.30 am, switch on HLT but first need a sustaining breakfast.

P1040302.jpg

Three nights before forced myself to drink a bottle of TTL & Pride from AG 1 & 2 brought the yeast on a la GW. Cosy spot on top of the dryer- plenty of agitation here & cheaper than a plate stirrer !

P1040303.jpg

Here's some of the results of the recycling bin diving, in 2 for £3 Morrissons crates.

P1040304.jpg

HLT heating up on the 3KW induction heater. Bust the hole cutter as I finished the last hole for the sight tube. Top tip : If you use a plumb line to line up the hole for the sight tube make sure you're on a level surface- not on a workmate on a slope, don't wear your multifocals looks more like a wort helter skelter than a sight tube , still it works.

P1040305.jpg

Running in the liquor at 82 degs into the mash tun. Got the brass plate from some old git at a car boot for 50p. Ignore it.
The Camlocks are brilliant, saves on miles of PTFE tape, and keeps your feet dry. No trenchfoot this time.

P1040306.jpg

Lovely smell. Doughed in at 66 degs. Haven't fitted the ball cock onto the autosparge. Close the lid now. 90 mins free. Just time to grab a spare hole cutter from a mate and fit the sight tube to the boiler. Here are the bits.

P1040307.jpg

Not quite, missed out the jubilee clips.

P1040308.jpg

Here's it done, just in time to put it on another induction heater and start the sparge.

P1040310.jpg

The first runnings from the sparge going back into the mash tun until it's a bit clearer. Hands are of a farmer friend.

P1040311.jpg

Sparge underway, need about 62 l or so in the boiler to get 50 l out.

P1040312.jpg

Clever little pumps so small yet they do the business. Powered by a fleabay hornby train transformer.

P1040313.jpg

First 50 l - London pride on the boil, 23 litres of liquor being run into the ( cleaned out ) mash tun preparing for the TTL

P1040314.jpg

Now then. We're on a water meter plus there's a drought. Whilst the London Pride is boiling and the TTL is mashing there's time to knock up a heat exchanger to cool the wort. Our first lot of beer is like having angels dancing on your tongue, unfortunately with no moss, and no cold break the first time around it's a bit cloudy. So rather than leave it a day or two to cool I'm hoping this attempt at a heat exchanger will induce a cold break and we'll have crystal clear beer. There's a tiny culvert running alongside the house. The streams around here were used to cool milk churns. Now it's beer.Here are the bits.

P1040315.jpg

Meanwhile, the mash for the second 50 litres - TTL this time has done it's 90 minutes, now sparging into to the boiler, having racked off 50 l of London pride ready for cooling.

P1040316.jpg

Here's the Pride cooling, took about 40 minutes from boiling down to pitching temperature. Not bad.

P1040317.jpg

Heres another pic, not sure why I did another, I think I'm getting a bit 'tired'.

P1040318.jpg

By the time I was starting to cool the fourth FV it was beginning to get a bit dark, SWIMBO had gone to talk on bees and I was getting a bit thirsty so nipped next door to the pub for a beer and forgot to take any more pics. I must though have retained some abilty to think as I pitched the yeast on all four and gave it a good aeration. Here's the result at 8.30 this morning.

P1040319.jpg

Cheers

RokDok

LeicesterLad said:
Loving the shineys, superb set up and TTL as well !

What TTL recipe are you using by the way

Graham Wheeler's from the BYOBRA book. I used the Smack Pack 1469 yeast originally.

Really got the bug , thinking of something light for a summers evening, maybe a low strength version of Summer Lightning.

The shineys aren't all mine-friends come and give a hand and take their FV of beer away at the end of the day. Very sociable.

RD

Latest posts

Back