AG or not AG that is the question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orval62

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking into going to All Grain, but before that step I need to be satisfied in my own mind on a number of points to ensure I don't waste my hard learnt cash, and contiue to enjoy HB

1. Set up costs for 40 pints brews, I've been looking at this bit of kit from brewuk, and would like your views, is it adequate and good value? Or would I be better to look elsewhere?
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/featured/all-grain-starter-set.html

2. The cost of each brew is it a lot cheaper than kits?

3. Is the beer you produce that more superior than kits?

Without doubt since returning to Home brewing I am amazed at the quality beer that can be produced from kits, and how easy it is.
Is changing to AG worth the extra cost, time and effort? I would appreciate your honest opinions and views. Apologies if its covering old ground.
Tony:doh:

Why don't you go BIAB?
You would need a large stock pot for mashing which can also act as your boiler, a heat source and a voile bag for your grain.

Oh and yes and yes.
You're probably looking at between £10-£15 per brew, maybe a lot less if you buy in bulk and depending what you're brewing, and the quality is far better than kits, even the premium Festival and St Peters ones.

Thanks for the response. I have looked at BIAB, which appears alot simpler and less time consuming but was concerned that I would need such a large pot to make a 40pt brew. Would a 30litre Burco boiler do to make a 23litre brew? Are the electricity costs high? The reason I ask about the Burco boiler is I have a contact who could get one discounted.

Thanks for the response. I have looked at BIAB, which appears alot simpler and less time consuming but was concerned that I would need such a large pot to make a 40pt brew. Would a 30litre Burco boiler do to make a 23litre brew? Are the electricity costs high? The reason I ask about the Burco boiler is I have a contact who could get one discounted.

I use a 30 litre stock pot for mashing and boiling, I do have a 60 litre electric boiler but I haven't yet used it as I haven't got a wort chiller. No idea about electric costs I'm afraid I use gas with my pot.

1. Looks expensive for what you get - i would go with a 50l (min) stock pot converted for around £80 and a converted cool box for the mashtun for around £80 - get yourself a 19kg propane tank and get some fresh air while your brewing.
2. Costs around £13-£15 for 27-28 litres of cracking HB
3. The quality of beer is on a different level to any kit that i have ever tried - and i have made a lot of kits.

Hop in with both eyes open and enjoy the ride!!

I would love to do AG, but lack of time space and funds restricts things, time mainly working long hours, its nice to just knock up a quick kit on an evening and pick another evening a fortnight ish later for bottling/kegging. If I didn't work then I'd certainly do AG. Keep praying for 6 numbers to come out.......... :pray: until then I'll keep knocking kits up and drink good beer! :drink:

After listening to your views and experience, I have decided to go the BIAB way. I am looking at a 50 litre pot, and a gas burner, which is working at at about £110 plus the gas, bag and a few bits and bobs, hopefully get the whole kit for around £160.

Happy days!

If you want to spend as little as possible to test the water, there is always the 50l ex mango chutney hdpe barrel fitted with a couple of budget kettle elements.. u dont need a tap as u can syphon the beer out to the fv when finished.. and with a weekend pottering you could be ready to go with a bak and a bent cakestand to keep the bag of the elements for less than £25
mango barrel - free from the local indian resturant, or circa £11 delivered from ebay..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Plastic...915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a90a92f1b

heres the one i brewed many a good beer in before upping to bigger pots

7936443660_f7d120ca36_z.jpg

Or have a go at extract? I'd like to go AG but haven't got the time nor space for the extra kit, so I've stuck with extract brewing - the beer to me is much better than most kits and not unlike that from a good ale pub, so personally the only extra things AG seems to give you is a lot more flexibility with your brews.

Latest posts

Back