AG sparge question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Morning all,

Quick question - my boiler is a converted Wilkos fermenter and as a result doesnt have much more than 20 litres of capacity.

Once I've sparged that much, I stick it on to boil. Then I continue to take sparge runnings into a couple of jugs - usually 2 or 3 litres ish.

I then add them to the boil as I go through - topping up to replace the boil off, usually all done within a half hour once I am confident that the boil has calmed to a roll.

But why am I bothering to take runnings and keep them in jugs?? I guess its because when I first started brewing I was focused on completing each stage of the process and then moving on - but is there any reason that I cannot just take runnings as and when I think I can fit them in, direct from the mash tun??

The only issue that I can think if is that the temperature of the wort and grains in the mash tun will have dropped significantly - would that make any difference to the wort being drawn off and added to the boiler?

People mash over night, and then mash out and sparge in the morning, when the temp has dropped a lot. So there isn't a problem. I think the main issue is adding wort that is well below 100C to the boiler and losing the boil, I have tended to boil the excess in a separate pan and add it to the kettle when it will fit.

I think the main issue is adding wort that is well below 100C to the boiler and losing the boil, I have tended to boil the excess in a separate pan and add it to the kettle when it will fit.

Although I do BIAB I do his too. I boil my sparge running and add them the main boil. If I don't and just add the running without boiling it takes ages to get it boiling again.

I don't know for sure but I always get the impression that stopping and starting the boil by adding cool sparge runnings somehow affects the hot break

Back