AG78 - Weizenbock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting my Weizenbock on this weekend. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the liquid yeast I wanted (WY3068) so am going with what I've got in stock (Mangrove Jacks M20). Hopefully it won't be too much of a compromise......

I'm getting my Weizenbock on this weekend. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the liquid yeast I wanted (WY3068) so am going with what I've got in stock (Mangrove Jacks M20). Hopefully it won't be too much of a compromise......
I'm sure it'll be fine, the yeast character is a little less obvious in this compared to a weizen, I think because the malt flavours are more prominent.

Update on weizenbock had to have a try it's not even two weeks in the bottle but this is nice IMG_20200421_002808348.jpg
It will only get better. I would be willing to swap if anyone is up for it. Obviously when lockdown is over.

i was generously given a bottle of this in an exchange. it was well received and very different than what i have been drinking lately. although i have had a ton of experience with bock biers, i have only had a couple weizenbocks in my time.

poured super thick deep murky brown. i know with weiss biers you pour in the yeast but i prefer to leave as much in the bottle as i can.

aroma is straight up brown sugar with slight raisin, banana and nutty. i might even say banana bread. it smells very similar to that westy 8 i drank yesterday.

taste is not what i was expecting at all from the aroma. right up front i get a dark candi syrup, but then the refreshing slightly sour wheat kicks in, a bit of orange and banana but ever so light. as it warms the maltiness deepens and becomes more bread dough, a slight alcoholness lingers. no hop presence at all, like it should be, bitterness is perfect.

this one brings me back to those cool autumn nights in the netherlands drinking herfstbock with a little twist. a very enjoyable beer that goes down easy, a little too easy as i can feel the affects a little more than halfway through. you should be proud of this one, its right up there with the best bocks i've had.

in fact i think i may steal this one and try it out with rye...

Attachments

• 20200429_171532.jpg
    20200429_171532.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 95
Thanks @Pennine for the kind review :hat: This has been an interesting one, it has changed remarkably since I started drinking it about a month ago, initially having a huge raisiny fruitiness much like a quad, but it's faded somewhat to leave a more balanced and complex beer I think. And you're right about the slight sourness, I'm not sure where that comes from :confused.:

Thanks @Pennine for the kind review :hat: This has been an interesting one, it has changed remarkably since I started drinking it about a month ago, initially having a huge raisiny fruitiness much like a quad, but it's faded somewhat to leave a more balanced and complex beer I think. And you're right about the slight sourness, I'm not sure where that comes from :confused.:
youre very welcome. im not sure but its a typical flavor i get when drinking wheat beers, especially ones with more than 20% malted wheat. it really is a complex beer and actually difficult to describe. i honestly was expecting a completely different taste from the aroma, it smelled exactly like a dubbel to me, but was quite pleasantly surprised with its uniqueness.

Very early sample of my Weizenbock this evening (it's only been in the bottle 3 days :tongue:). Very promising indeed, but I didn't get the efficiency I was shooting for and the FG was consequently a little low; would prefer a little more fullness and sweetness. I think that it's going to be very drinkable though if this early taster is anything to go by

i was generously given a bottle of this in an exchange. it was well received and very different than what i have been drinking lately. although i have had a ton of experience with bock biers, i have only had a couple weizenbocks in my time.

poured super thick deep murky brown. i know with weiss biers you pour in the yeast but i prefer to leave as much in the bottle as i can.

aroma is straight up brown sugar with slight raisin, banana and nutty. i might even say banana bread. it smells very similar to that westy 8 i drank yesterday.

taste is not what i was expecting at all from the aroma. right up front i get a dark candi syrup, but then the refreshing slightly sour wheat kicks in, a bit of orange and banana but ever so light. as it warms the maltiness deepens and becomes more bread dough, a slight alcoholness lingers. no hop presence at all, like it should be, bitterness is perfect.

this one brings me back to those cool autumn nights in the netherlands drinking herfstbock with a little twist. a very enjoyable beer that goes down easy, a little too easy as i can feel the affects a little more than halfway through. you should be proud of this one, its right up there with the best bocks i've had.

in fact i think i may steal this one and try it out with rye...
Excited to try this one 😬

by the way what kind of water did you use for this? i think im gonna do a mix up of this one with ingredients on hand this weekend.

by the way what kind of water did you use for this? i think im gonna do a mix up of this one with ingredients on hand this weekend.
I think I went for a chloride forward profile, probably about 120 ppm, and kept the sulphate low. Calcium was somewhere around 90 ppm and alkalinity about 40-50 ppm.

so i have a pack of t-58 and k-97, im leaning towards t-58 but any arguments against or for k-97?

I haven't used either of those but as far as I know k97 is very clean, so out of the two I'd choose t58, but you'll probably end up with something more like a dubbel than a weizenbock.

I was thinking about maybe doing a roggenbier next. It was Mentioned last night on the what did you brew today thread. After a bit of research it sounds like something I would like to try. More or less a dunkelweizen only with rye instead of wheat. Has anyone brewed this style before

i have not done a roggenbier, i have a hard enough time brewing a 20% rye recipe would be worried about 40 to 50% levels in a recipe. grab some rice hulls!

Latest posts

Back