AG8

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve963

Reaction score
made this on Sunday, what you recon it will be like, can you see any problems?

----------------
Batch Size (L): 69.0
Total Grain (kg): 13.000
Total Hops (g): 300.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.2
Bitterness (IBU): 35.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 86
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
12.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (96.15%)
0.500 kg Torrified Wheat (3.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50.0 g Cascade Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
50.0 g Cascade Pellet (7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
50.0 g Cascade Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
70.0 g Cascade Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
80.0 g Cascade Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 21°C with Safale S-04

Notes
----------------
strike water 77, mash temp 66degrees, after hour temp 65.5 degrees

sparge water 81.5degrees in the HLT, run off at 66 degrees, (need to measure again)

sparged slowly towards end got very high efficiency,
1046 before boil
1051 after

the 0 min hops were left to steep for 30 mins

yeast pitched at 21-22 degrees, took well into next day to form krausen, maybe temp drops in night

settled to 21 degrees next day

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Looks pretty good.

I assume you are looking for something light and hoppy going by the recipe.

Personally I think I would have used US-05, if you wanted a dry yeast as that will let the hops sing out better.

yeah, should have used us-05 in at least one of the fermenters to see, but hate the mess it makes!

is 35IBU high?!? I though 80 was high.. should beers like this have very low, what like 20?

excellent,

cant wait to taste this, will bottle after 10 days, with about 1/2 spoon of sugar, or about 80grams per 40bottles

been fermenting at 23-24 degrees all summer (some even starting at 26), so hoping this is gonna be really nice at 21degrees. As others had a bit of a taste to them

steve963 said:
excellent,

cant wait to taste this, will bottle after 10 days, with about 1/2 spoon of sugar, or about 80grams per 40bottles

been fermenting at 23-24 degrees all summer (some even starting at 26), so hoping this is gonna be really nice at 21degrees. As others had a bit of a taste to them

What do you mean by ''a bit of a taste'?

It's amazing just how many different styles of beer there are, and how fermentation temperature can affect them. I brew almost exclusively using Belgian yeasts (most of my beers are completely unsuitable for any sort of competition) - and am definitely looking for a 'lot of a taste' - a powerful, fruity, plummy taste and a warming sensation as the beer goes down. I usually start the fermentation at 22C but have seen it run wild on occasion as the yeasties have started to chew their way through the sugars.

I had one brew where I needed to put the FV in a bath of cold water because it was running wild - I had a foot of headspace and it was climbing out of the airlock - and the fermentation temperature peaked at around 28C before the cool water bath took effect. Amazingly, the finished product didn't have those bubblegum notes that many people find with home-brewed Belgian style.

steve963 said:
yeah, should have used us-05 in at least one of the fermenters to see, but hate the mess it makes!

is 35IBU high?!? I though 80 was high.. should beers like this have very low, what like 20?

35's fine - perfect in my mind for a nice sipping bitter. I know some people swear by the ultra-high-hopped APAs and on a scorching summer's day something reeking of Citra and making your cheeks touch each other just can't be beaten in my opinion, but as far as bittering is concerned, higher doesn't necessarily mean better. After all, it's all about balance and what YOU want. If you'd used any speciality malts then you could have cranked up the bittering to balance the maltiness, but I reckon you'll love this one just the way it is - and it's your taste buds that are the important ones.

luckyeddie said:
steve963 said:
excellent,

What do you mean by ''a bit of a taste'?

It's amazing just how many different styles of beer there are, and how fermentation temperature can affect them. I brew almost exclusively using Belgian yeasts (most of my beers are completely unsuitable for any sort of competition) - and am definitely looking for a 'lot of a taste' - a powerful, fruity, plummy taste and a warming sensation as the beer goes down. I usually start the fermentation at 22C but have seen it run wild on occasion as the yeasties have started to chew their way through the sugars.

I had one brew where I needed to put the FV in a bath of cold water because it was running wild - I had a foot of headspace and it was climbing out of the airlock - and the fermentation temperature peaked at around 28C before the cool water bath took effect. Amazingly, the finished product didn't have those bubblegum notes that many people find with home-brewed Belgian style.

dont know really they just seem a bit alcoholy in taste, I wondered if i was getting the other type of alcohol by fermenting too high (fusel?) Its only my 8th all grain so just trying to find my feet really, but so far none of my beers have been close to pub style real ales, apart from my first

had slightly off tasting batches presumably from trying to reuse yeast and not sterilizing container properly
had cloudy beer from forgetting irish moss, never clears
had too strong beer so definite alcohol twang
always drink it too quickly and never leave any samples
But i think im homing in on a good beer hopefully!

Latest posts

Back