All Grain light/creamy ale recipe recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldlager

Reaction score
I was planning on waiting a month or so before starting a new brew, however, after reading Abiruth's post about mini-AG-brewing i've been inspired to start gathering the ingredients and kit to sart another brew.

I am a lager fan unfortunately (boo, hisss, i know) but due to a lack of cooling equipment I can't really make a proper lager so am looking to brew an ale.

Does anyone have a good recipe for a light, possibly creamy ale that won't be too strong in flavour considering my wuss lager drinking palette?

I would imagine i'd use a light dry malt with a small amount of subtle hops, not too strong? I'd rather risk over-sweetness than over-bitterness i think.

Would be great to hear some recommendations. I am planning on brewing small 5ltr batches so i'm prepared to experiement.

Thanks as always.

what you want is a clean yeast like saf us5, just pale malt and some european hops, brew an ale (64c mash), gas as a lager, serve cold and no one will be able to tell.

can't really help with the hops, but Saaz are pilsner hops, so might be worth a punt

The closest you'll get to a lager without a fermenting fridge is a Kolsch, though even that needs to fermented on the cool side (18 I believe) and you'll need to shell out on some liquid yeast.
Alternately as you say a pale ale, I once tried to get close to a lager using ale yeast and ended up with a nice light pale ale, it definitely wasn't a lager, but to a lager drinker was probably quite acceptable.

96% Pale malt
4% Caramalt
aiming for 1.046 og, for me that was 8kg pale, 350g caramalt but that was 46 litres.

The hops were Saaz, I used 100g for 90 minutes ( 22 IBU ) and another 100g for 15 minutes ( 7.7 IBU )

The yeast was US-05 and I'm afraid I cheated and fermented it in a fridge set to 18 degrees.

Since I'm sitting in Germany, I reckon you should also consider Tettnang/Spalt/Hallertau hops ..

I'm drinking a local beer (called "Kellerbier") loaded with Tettnang hops, giving it tons of crispness and some floral character. Very drinkable.

Ian

I’ve just brewed a fantastic tasting Pilsner using SAFLAGER S-23 which, according to the Fermentis website, the fermentation temp should be between 9-22°C and ideally 12-15°C. So although my 18° fermentation spot is above the ‘ideal’ range, it still sits easily within the tolerable range for this strain.

My brew was as follows:

Amount Name Type #
4.25 kg Lager Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 1
40.0 g Tettnang [3.8%] – Boil 60 min Hops 2
30.0 g Saaz [2.9%] – Boil 30 min Hops 3
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 4
15.0 g Saaz [2.9%] – Boil 10 min Hops 5
10.0 g Saaz [2.9%] – Steep 60 min Hops 6
1 pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL/Fermentis #S-23) Yeast 7

The palest malt you can get (lager, pale), noble hops, regular yeast or go for Kolsch yeast for cold fermentation. Alternatively, if you like wheat, you can give it a 10-20% for some variety in flavour.

If you want creamy taste in your recipe i would use biscuit malt (only about 200g in a 23l brew ) lovely and maybe add some wheat malt too (around 200/500g for 23l brew ) Also as said kolsch yeast can be used and also a few Californian lager yeasts can be brewed at ale temps , i would use pilsener malt , sazz hops lovely .

puravida said:
I’ve just brewed a fantastic tasting Pilsner using SAFLAGER S-23 which, according to the Fermentis website, the fermentation temp should be between 9-22°C and ideally 12-15°C. So although my 18° fermentation spot is above the ‘ideal’ range, it still sits easily within the tolerable range for this strain.

Sounds interesting. I was thinking with the cold weather people might be tempted with some lagers. You wouldn't even need a fridge at the minute by the sounds of it across most off the UK.

I wonder how the SAFLAGER S-23 performs at different temperatures, big difference between 9 and 22°C. I wonder how it compares to an ale yeast if fermented at the same temps?

Thanks for the replies and recipes, some useful stuff to ponder.

I am leaning towards a pale ale. Coming from mainly lagers what do you think, will they be a bit over-bitter for my palette?

Ideally i'd like to ease myself into 'proper beer'.

This sort of recipe although I am unable to convert all the numbers into expected flavours:
http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_198.htm

cheers

coldlager said:
Thanks for the replies and recipes, some useful stuff to ponder.

I am leaning towards a pale ale. Coming from mainly lagers what do you think, will they be a bit over-bitter for my palette?

Ideally i'd like to ease myself into 'proper beer'.

This sort of recipe although I am unable to convert all the numbers into expected flavours:
http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_198.htm

cheers

I've converted the above recipe via BrewMate into not only a smaller batch size but also based on the malt & hops I can get at my local home brew shop.

Here's the result. Seems quite light and lowish on alcohol with a really low IBU. I'm also thinking of removing the dry hopping phase to make it less maintenance.

Simple English Pale Ale (English IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (°P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.16 %
Colour (SRM): 9.9 (EBC): 19.5
Bitterness (IBU): 27.2 (Average)

80.58% Pale Malt
9.71% Brown Sugar, Light
9.71% Crystal 80

1.1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.0 g/L Yeast Nutrient @ 0 Days (Primary)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

coldlager said:
I've converted the above recipe via BrewMate into not only a smaller batch size but also based on the malt & hops I can get at my local home brew shop.

Here's the result. Seems quite light and lowish on alcohol with a really low IBU. I'm also thinking of removing the dry hopping phase to make it less maintenance.

Hey get you you're flying ;) Looking good. You might want to try your brew with 5% crystal malt or less as otherwise it'll be quick dark . The image on brewmate for the SRM is a bit misleading. To give you an idea my AG #1 had an SRM of 9.3 and it's pretty dark. I think your IBU look just right, to compare the light lagers so many of us drink have IBUs around 20-25.

Once fermentation is over you can get a really good idea of the taste and aroma of the finished brew. If you get a mild sweet aroma and not much else you would probably then want to dry hop for a few days before bottling. If It's not bitter enough you could always make a hop tea (just boil hops in water to similar hop schedule). These might not be popular solutions to some but I really like the fact you can correct the flavour.

I've found The Homebrew Handbook really useful, and not dull.

:drink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Abiruth said:
coldlager said:

Hey get you you're flying ;) Looking good. You might want to try your brew with 5% crystal malt or less as otherwise it'll be quick dark . The image on brewmate for the SRM is a bit misleading. To give you an idea my AG #1 had an SRM of 9.3 and it's pretty dark. I think your IBU look just right, to compare the light lagers so many of us drink have IBUs around 20-25.

Once fermentation is over you can get a really good idea of the taste and aroma of the finished brew. If you get a mild sweet aroma and not much else you would probably then want to dry hop for a few days before bottling. If It's not bitter enough you could always make a hop tea (just boil hops in water to similar hop schedule). These might not be popular solutions to some but I really like the fact you can correct the flavour.

I've found The Homebrew Handbook really useful, and not dull.

:drink:

Awesome, thanks. I've been listening to 'brew radio' podcasts whilst tweaking that beer recipe http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio. I've started with their first podcasts from several years ago lol.

Yea the image on brewmate for 9.9 SRM is really quite light, light caramel colour. I will adjust the crystal % to 5% in that case. Should I increase the malt slightly to counter this?

I might also add a weenie bit more sugar to increase the alcohol content to 4.5-5.0% abv.

Cheers for your help again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dropped the crystal down to just under 5%, now looking at 7.2 SRM. That should do the trick. Maybe make a darker one next time :)

i've heard about people putting lactose into tetley's and guiness clones to somewhat replicate the creamflow effect. or you can get nitrogen gas bulbs for your keg, i think?

It might be worth looking at the mash temp. If your more inclined to a light larger style I would be tempted to drop it a bit. I know you wanted to rather have a sweet beer than bitter, but I would think even 65 would be better. Also worth keeping you FG down as much as possible, though 1008 is good if you can hit it.

Lactose will make it sweet. If your looking for a creamy head maybe look into Torrefied wheat. Pale's lend themselves to a little flaked barley also, but from what you said, probably not what your looking for.

Whilst waiting on some bits and bobs i need to make this brew, I decided to buy a bunch of random comercial beers from my local corner shop to see if I can find something to aim for in terms of style, flavour bitterness etc.

Here's what I bought:
- First Gold Bitter (4% ABV)
- Hogoblin 5.2% ABV (the standard ruby one)
- Wells Bombardier 4.7% ABV
- Brakspear Bitter 3.4% ABV
- Theakston - Old Peculier the legend
- Spitfire Kentish Ale
- Landlord (pale ale)
- Fuller's London Pride

All of these were in 500ml bottles.

Here's what i've drunk so far this week:
- First Gold Bitter - This was refreshing, light but too bitter for me. I can tell i'd learn to love the bitterness but right now my palette is not there yet. Brew this? Nope
- Hogoblin (the standard ruby one) - Rich taste, some botterness much heavier than the light first gold bitter, stronger flavours. I quite enjoyed this but would prefer nearer 4% abv as opposed to 5.2%. Brew this? Maybe in future
- Wells Bombardier - Subtle flavors, not very bitter at all, quite sweet almost, malty and very fruity. I could drink this all night, in fact I am dissapointed the bottle slipped down so fast. Brew this? YES

So far, from the beers i've tasted, the bombardier was great. I will drink the rest before I decide upon a recipe but right now i'll be trying to figure out a homebrew that could produce something similar to this Bombardier. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The bottle says:
- Fuggles (great ive got oemof these
- Crushed crystal (got some, check)
- saltana fruit
- Malty richness
- tangy hops
- spicy finish

I'm guessing the IBU has to be below 30 and they must use quite a strong crystal to get the dark amber colour. I think my taste leans towards maltiness, fruitiness, caramel but less hoppy bitterness.

If anyone knows of similar commercial beers i could try then let me know. Recipe guidelines along these lines would also be great :)

Cheers

If you google a podcast called 'the brewing network presents - the jamil show' then look back to August 2012, you'll find an entire show dedicated to cloning that beer.

Hope that helps!

puravida said:
If you google a podcast called 'the brewing network presents - the jamil show' then look back to August 2012, you'll find an entire show dedicated to cloning that beer.

Hope that helps!

Nice one, thank you puravida :)

Latest posts

Back