All-grain number 5: Brew Dog Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice! Ive just done my just finished brewing it and its currently bubbling away and smells awesome! My first all grain brew so hope it turns out okay! My wort didnt clear very much when I was vorlauf ing it either but hopefully it dosent matter too much... Managed to get a S.G of 1.062 after boil and about 18 litres, I almost left it as it was but wanted to be able to make it consistently so diluted it down to 1.056 to just under 20 litres using a calculator thing. So fingers crossed!

You planning on just bottling it straight after its stopped fermenting or doing a secondary ferment first then bottle? I still cant decide whether it makes much difference to do a secondary ferment or not especially if your not adding anything extra in it.

Wow sounds like you nailed the SG - good work! I bottled after 11 days straight from the primary fermenter.

Stick a hop sock over your siphon stick and it'll minimise the **** you draw up the tube.
That's a good suggestion! I did get a little crud down the pipe whilst bottling mine so will definitely do that next time.

I recently had a go at the newer Punk recipe with the dry hopping. Three or four weeks in bottle and it is still very hazy, not sure that I'm expecting it to clear properly. Couldn't care less, tastes great; really zings out of the glass.

That's great to hear :thumb:. If this one goes well I'll give the newer version a try at some point.

So following the success of the Punk IPA, I'm in the middle of brewing Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde today and it's not going great so far as I think my thermometer is on the blink (as it started out by fluctuating in the range of 10c) so I've had a bit of the nightmare with the mash and have added far too much water trying to get the correct temp. Target mash temp is 69c but it started at 64c (according to the thermometer) for about 10 mins, then up to 75c for another 10 mins and leveled out 67c for the majority and it's finishing at 64c :-(.

God know how this one's going to turn out! Definitely will be getting a new thermometer for my next brew day.

I feel for you, I've had the same thermometer problems. Cheap battery operated ones either don't work from the off or fail after one or two uses. Until I can find something reliable I'm been using an old school glass thermometer, but I'd rather have something with a probe that can be left running the whole time.

Yes I think I might invest in the a couple of the dial type thermometers and stick one in both my boiler and mash tun... that's if it's possible to fit one to a plastic coolbox :hmm:

So following the success of the Punk IPA, I'm in the middle of brewing Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde today and it's not going great so far as I think my thermometer is on the blink (as it started out by fluctuating in the range of 10c) so I've had a bit of the nightmare with the mash and have added far too much water trying to get the correct temp. Target mash temp is 69c but it started at 64c (according to the thermometer) for about 10 mins, then up to 75c for another 10 mins and leveled out 67c for the majority and it's finishing at 64c :-(.

God know how this one's going to turn out! Definitely will be getting a new thermometer for my next brew day.

Good job on the brew day! Did you taste the IPA yet? Thinking of trying to recipe as I'm a fan... but wondering how close it is!!

Good job on the brew day! Did you taste the IPA yet? Thinking of trying to recipe as I'm a fan... but wondering how close it is!!

Thanks, yes I have had a couple of bottles now but it's only been bottled for two and a bit weeks now so I imagine the flavour will continue to change. I haven't done a side-by-side taste comparison with a bottle of Punk but from memory it was fairly convincing. This brew was the 2007 recipe and not the current recipe of Punk so there will be some differences anyway. I would encourage you to have a go!

Thanks, yes I have had a couple of bottles now but it's only been bottled for two and a bit weeks now so I imagine the flavour will continue to change. I haven't done a side-by-side taste comparison with a bottle of Punk but from memory it was fairly convincing. This brew was the 2007 recipe and not the current recipe of Punk so there will be some differences anyway. I would encourage you to have a go!

IMO the 2007 punk is much better. the 2007 recipe on DIY dog that i've followed is shaping up to be better than the current punk ipa

Been drinking this over the weekend! and its awesome, put most of it into a few mini kegs and used the party deluxe dispenser thing and it came out perfect! Only matured it over about 2-3 weeks as was too desperate to try it, but tastes pretty damn good! Actually prefer it over the new Punk IPA recipe and it went down a treat with the guys! Cant recommend enough! Will see how it matures over the next few weeks!

That's great news! I'd be interested in hearing how it matures.

I tried mine after a couple of weeks and tasted great too.....until a few days later and the lovely hoppy taste was then drowned out by a really harsh bitter taste and strange, almost chemically, smell - the same as my previous AG attempts
icon_e_sad.gif
. I think I've finally discovered the reason why my AG brews have been going bad....I found my syphon tube had become infected (the infection managed to survive washing/sanitisation) so I've been spoiling the beer during bottling
doh.gif
. This has been an expensive lesson to learn! This has now been promptly chucked and replaced, luckily before bottling the Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde I have in the fermenter at the moment! I'll definitely be brewing up another batch of Punk as soon as I get a chance.

Another issue I had during the mash is my digital thermometer packed up. It now reads anywhere between 80°C - 100°C no matter what the temperature of the probe is. I'll be sending that one back to Amazon!

Hey Gary. Cool write up, I've only done 1 AG myself and will be bottling it tomorrow :) Punk IPA is definitely one I want to try, be keen to hear how yours turns out.

Your comment above about the thermometer - I don't suppose you've got this one? That is the one I bought and I thought it was great but started going weird towards the end and was stuck at about 80 degrees, even hours later. I've checked since and its gone back to normal now, but I wasnt sure if I should send it back or if it was just a blip. I left it in for the whole boil, I suspect its not really designed for liquid. Shame because otherwise I loved it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, sorry I've only just seen your question (for some reason I didn't receive an email notification). No that's not the thermometer that I have. I found an article on how to fix the metal thermometer probes - put them in the oven on a low heat (ensure the plastic plug is hanging outside the oven) for a few minutes to remove the moisture that has got into the sensor. It seems to have worked for mine but I'm not trusting this type of thermometer in isolation again so will purchase some extra ones.

Old thread I know but I am looking to brew this at the weekend but my local brewstore doe snot have Moteuka - looking at substitutions it appears Sterling is an option - just wanted you folks opinions on this? Or should I go for something else?

Old thread I know but I am looking to brew this at the weekend but my local brewstore doe snot have Moteuka - looking at substitutions it appears Sterling is an option - just wanted you folks opinions on this? Or should I go for something else?

I'm not sure Sterling would have a powerful enough aroma. Perhaps a mix of Sterling or Saaz with Centennial or Amarillo would be closer.

How would this work with Amarillo OR Cenetnnial? There is already 4 other hops in this and I dont really want to buy another 2 packs

How would this work with Amarillo OR Cenetnnial? There is already 4 other hops in this and I dont really want to buy another 2 packs

The 2007 one has four hops in total, and the 2010 has six, so I'm not sure what recipe you are looking at that needs four other hops on top of Motueka. Either way, I'm just saying that a mix of a spicy nobel-ish hop and a citrusy American one would approximate the taste of Motueka. If I were to substitute it with only one other hop, I would probably go for Amarillo or Centennial over Sterling or Saaz. I think the latter would get drowned out by the Ahtanum and Chinook late additions.

Sorry yes it's 3 hops and Moteuka, I suppose Saaz is quite cheap but I'm edging towards just getting Amarillo - I'm not super bothered if it's not 100% clone, I'm sure it will still turn out good if it's just Amarillo! I'm also thinking of using the grain bill from the modern punk, with the old grain bill as I like a bit of caramalt to give the beer some body and head retention.

Latest posts

Back