All pale recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dub

Reaction score
Evening

Looking to for a recipe for next brew and seen a couple that use just pale malt.

Would just 1 type of malt give a flavoursome brew?

Dont want to waste time brewing something bland

Cheers Scott

It really depends on what you are looking for from your beer. A beer with 100% pale malt will certainly produce a decent base but you will probably want to spice it up a bit with some interesting hops.

As a rule you are looking for a balance of malt and hop so you might want to introduce some other malts in small quantities to give a little interest. A small amout of wheat malt will help with head retention without adding colour. Some crystal malt, perhaps 2.5%, will give a little bit of both colour and body. Adding something like munich will help give a bit more body and sweetness that can be offset with additions of hops. Adding some adjuncts like white sugar will help thin out the brew so you can achieve a higher abv without becoming too cloying.

I think what I am trying to say is that most of us find that you need to play about with recipes to get something that suits your own taste. I wouldn't stop you trying a 100% pale malt brew as it will give you a base to work from when you concoct your future brews.

I've probably just confused the issue but good luck. :cheers:

If you high gravity brew say (1070-1080og) with all pale, & take about 2 ltrs of the strong worts (first runnings) boil it in a pan on the stove until its about 600ml and add it back to the copper, it will give something a lot more flavoursome.just back it up with plenty of hops :thumb:

UP

Latest posts

Back