Alternative yeast for lager ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-h71

Reaction score
Hi All, I have been messing around making the raspberryade/raspberry wine lately, I have used the lalvin ec-1118, this seems to be a really good yeast strain, it has a very low flocculation and low foam etc, it seems to leave no taste to the brews I have made so far with it, the lees are nice and firm too, so great for bottle conditioning my ciders etc.
So what doyou guys think about using it for lagers, the info on the yeast says it works well in temps from 10 deg C to 30 deg C so should in theory work well at a lower temp for lager, but then would it be any good for making lager at around the 16 - 18 deg C temps.
I think I am going to do a small batch trial with the 1118 yeast to see how it turns out, I would just like to hear what others have to say about my idea and if anyone else has tridit etc. I have been really impressed with the yeast so far in wine and cider so looking for other peoples thoughts.
Cheers.
Steve.
:-?

Back