Yeast preparation for cold IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I fancy having a go at brewing a cold IPA. I’ve got most of the “C” hops in the freezer so if anyone has a recipe to share I’ll be glad to know. My other question is how much and how to prepare the yeast. I've never made a lager before, I’m told you typically use more yeast than with ale. I’ll get 22L into the fermenter, 1.065 - 1.070 OG, ferment at 13°c and use a dry yeast, e.g mangrove jacks M84. How many packs would you suggest ? My wort chiller gets the wort down to around 22°c at the moment, do you need to cool the wort further before you pitch the yeast?

I fancy having a go at brewing a cold IPA. I’ve got most of the “C” hops in the freezer so if anyone has a recipe to share I’ll be glad to know. My other question is how much and how to prepare the yeast. I've never made a lager before, I’m told you typically use more yeast than with ale. I’ll get 22L into the fermenter, 1.065 - 1.070 OG, ferment at 13°c and use a dry yeast, e.g mangrove jacks M84. How many packs would you suggest ? My wort chiller gets the wort down to around 22°c at the moment, do you need to cool the wort further before you pitch the yeast?
The interwebs suggest M84 isn’t great, I’ve no idea so gladly get a dry yeast recommendation thanks

Screenshot_20230926-180746.png

I've done it and it turned out great. I'll look up the recipe and post it. I took my lead from John Palmer, here: John Palmer's Cold IPA all grain recipe - Beer & Brewer
I used a Kolsch yeast- CML Høg Norsk (yes it is a Kolsch).
Next time I'll use maize instead of rice just to see if it makes a great difference.

Here's what I posted elsewhere:

An Ankoù wrote:
We're thinking alike here. I'll post the recipe for my interpretation later on. It's a bit more sane. (I hope).
I wasn't aware of that website, though, and there;s some cracking stuff on it.
Well here are my thoughts and my first attempt.

Cold IPA.
I think I’ve finally got to grips with what this style is supposed to be after reading Palmer’s article. All sources agree that it’s a bright IPA to be served cold; the antithesis of NEIPA, but not a lager. It doesn’t have to use either lager malt or lager yeast, but it must contain 20-40% adjuncts and it shouldn’t contain any crystal/caramel malts. Clarity is important, hop dominance is essential, the malt should provide a just adequate support for the hops and the yeast should be completely transparent. Normal abv is 6-7% and IBUs go into the 60s or higher. The natural adjunct would appear to be flaked maize.
Wild About Hops offer no less than 16 recipes, nearly all use flaked rice, all bar one use lager malt and all use W-34/70. The recipes are mainly clones of commercial US brands: Wayfarer and Firestone Walker, for example, Gladfield has a recipe and John Palmer has his own. They have this in common: bittering is established with a decent charge of kettle hops; a whirlpool or steep is done with a mixture of hops often including Centennial; a massive charge of dry hops is added before fermentation is finished, presumably to make the hops amenable to a degree of biotransformation. Note that all recommend W-34/70. The style requires a clean or lager yeast fermented at ale temperature, but W-34/70 will enhance terpenes and liberate thiols. Palmer says a Kolsch yeast would also be suitable. I don’t think biotransformation is a prerequisite of the style. There is no agreement on what dry hops to use and many of the mixtures use around 5 to 7 different US, Au or NZ hops. All of WAH’s recipes call for a clearing agent and Gladfield suggests filtering.

So here’s my recipe for 12 litres
OG 1060; Target FG 1008, IBUs from kettle hops assuming 20% Util’n 40.
Pale Ale Malt 80%
Flaked Rice 20%
Mash 90’ at 66C
Kettle hops (FWH) Magnum to 40 IBUs
60’+10’ boil Protofloc last 10’
30’ steep <80C Centennial 20g
Pitch with Høg Norsk (a Kolsch yeast? Clean nevertheless) add 3ml Clarity (enzyme)
When head has collapsed, dry hop with 30g each of Citra, Strata and Mosaic for three days. Add ½ tsp pectolase as hops contain up to 2% pectin. Then withdraw the hop bag and allow to drop clear.
Bottle and condition.

I anticipate that oxidation issues will still be present, but much less than NEIPA since there is little residual protein in the beer and, perhaps, some of the hop polyphenols will have been dragged out of suspension in the clearing process. The FG is a bit nebulous, too, as I expect a degree of “hop creep”.

Well I’ve done it now so let’s see what happens. I would have preferred to have used flaked maize, in retospect.

“For heaven's sake mankind,... I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout. "Energize the demolition beams."
Light poured out into the hatchways.
"I don't know," said the voice on the PA, "apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all."
It cut off. There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
The Vogon Constructor fleet coasted away into the inky starry void.

I tasted a bottle yesterday. 11 days in the bottle. There was a little haze, which is something I'm going to have to work on as this beer should be crystal clear. A lovely beer, full of fruit and hoppiness. I don't know whether much biotransformation went on with the Høg Norsk or whether it was the natural flavour of the hops, but it's delicious.
I only allowed ½ to 1 cm headspace in the bottle to reduce oxidation and that seemed to have worked. You can find a whole load of recipes and some commentary here: Guide to Making a Cold IPA
Later this week I'm going to make a fully NZ version using dry hops NZH-101, Superdelic, Nectaron. I don't know wht to swap for the Centennial yet and that whirlpool charge is very important.
I think I might give CML Kolsch a go on this one, too.

This is a great style and well worth exploring.

Just checked my capacious inventory and I haven't got any W-34/70, but I've got both the CML yeasts. If I go straight for the NZ edition I could, perhaps, sub Sauvin for the NZH-101 since they don't appear to be available in the UK. I'll stick with the rice as I've never really liked soggy cornflakes.

I've done it and it turned out great. I'll look up the recipe and post it. I took my lead from John Palmer, here: John Palmer's Cold IPA all grain recipe - Beer & Brewer
I used a Kolsch yeast- CML Høg Norsk (yes it is a Kolsch).
Next time I'll use maize instead of rice just to see if it makes a great difference.

Thanks, here's what I plan to brew. What do you think? 22L batch, 60m boil

Malt
Maris 40%
Pilsner 40%
Flaked Rice 20%

Hops
60min 20g Pekko
10min 50g Pekko
100g Pekko Hop Stand 20mins @80c
150g Pekko Dry Hop 4 days

SafLager 34/70
Fermentation @16c

Water Additions - West Coast IPA

I've got a kilo of Pekko hops, never used them before but it's been suggested to use them in a pseudo-lager. I've not got enough Pilsner to go for 80% so have to use some maris too.

Never heard of pekko hops, but why not.
My guess is the MO might be a mistake. But what do I know, I've never tried it with MO. I think if I had to, I'd try to use a bit more adjunct: 30% rice and 30% MO.

Back