Amarillo Single Hop Ale - Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good EKG smash is the summit of British pale ales in my opinion wink... . I aim for about 4.5%ABV, 40ish IBUs, with plenty of late hops and a dry hop and end up with something not too far off Summer Lightning back in the day. I guess it depends if you like that sort of thing.
I love Summer Lightning (on draft). You say back in the day' have they stopped making it?

A good EKG smash is the summit of British pale ales in my opinion wink... . I aim for about 4.5%ABV, 40ish IBUs, with plenty of late hops and a dry hop and end up with something not too far off Summer Lightning back in the day. I guess it depends if you like that sort of thing.

I do indeed like Summer Lightning! I shall have to give it a go!

I love Summer Lightning (on draft). You say back in the day' have they stopped making it?

Hopback are still making it but you definitely don’t see it about as much any more. It might just be my tastebuds, or maybe the novelty has worn off, but I don’t think it’s as great as I remember it back in the early 90s.

Last edited:
Hopback are still making it but you definitely don’t see it about as much any more. It might just be my tastebuds, or maybe the novelty has worn off, but I don’t think it’s as great as I remember it back in the early 90s.
Yeah, in the late 80s and early 90s it was the leader in the field. Now many have copied the style and moved it forward. I remember it was one of the beers I used to copy regularly.

Yeah, in the late 80s and early 90s it was the leader in the field. Now many have copied the style and moved it forward. I remember it was one of the beers I used to copy regularly.

It’s quite astounding how much of a revaluation Summer Lightning was back then. Amazing really for what is essentially not much more than a SMASH (I think it’s only the bittering hops stop it being so). In the early 90s I split my time between university in York and at my folks in Kent, so my drinking nostalgia veers between Landlord (another ‘simple’ brew) up north and Summer Lightning (and Harvey’s!) down south. I think, as homebrewers, we could all sometimes do with being reminded to ‘keep it simple, stupid’. acheers.

I'd like to know if anyone else has done an EKG smash, I've got a shed load of it, bought by accident that I need to use up. An EKG smash just sounds a little boring.....
Do it regularly using a pale ale recipe from the Ron Pattison book on vintage brewing. The one I settled on was for Lovibond XB pale ale from 1864 - basically just pale malt plus 3 additions of goldings at 90, 60 and 30 minutes. Huge floral bouquet and massive hop hit. It's great.

Do it regularly using a pale ale recipe from the Ron Pattison book on vintage brewing. The one I settled on was for Lovibond XB pale ale from 1864 - basically just pale malt plus 3 additions of goldings at 90, 60 and 30 minutes. Huge floral bouquet and massive hop hit. It's great.

Well i'll defo have to try an EKG smash soon then!

Brewed this in Feb for the first time. I’ll be honest, I’m not exactly nailing this BIAB hobby but my word, this has turned out to be a superb homebrew.

Back