AMS/CRS & calcium

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm trying to finer tune my water treatment a bit and have a question about AMS/CRS, which I already use in every brew, and which I hope someone with a better idea of chemistry than me can put me right on.

I know that if I were to boil my water to reduce alkalinity I would lose some calcium as it bonded to the carbonate.
and
I know that if I use AMS/CRS (I think these are the same thing???) the chloride and sulphate go up as described by the manufacturer.
but
Does the AMS/CRS have any effect on the ppm of calcium in the liquor???

:cheers:

I don't think so, reduction of alkalinity by boiling removes calcium because it precipitates out as calcium carbonate which is left behind by decanting the water. CRS on the other hand neutralises the alkalinity.

I don't think so, reduction of alkalinity by boiling removes calcium because it precipitates out as calcium carbonate which is left behind by decanting the water. CRS on the other hand neutralises the alkalinity.

This is my understanding too. When I use the Bru n' water calculator it doesn't adjust the calcium content of the final water with CRS but does increase sulphate and chloride.

Bru n' water is pretty thorough so I'd expect them to take this into account if it did change things.

I have some CRS but I've started using phosphoric acid for my water adjustments. At 75% pure it is a lot more concentrated that CRS, so works out a lot cheaper in the long run, if you have water as alkaline as mine.

I'm sure you're aware that phosphoric acid can also cause precipitation of calcium, although some say that the calcium reduction is inconsequential. If I had high alkalinity water I'd use phosphoric acid too, but I use lactic acid because it's easier for me to get, it's a little cheaper and I use it in quantities way below the taste threshold.

I got some base numbers (with help from forumites) and put them into a water calculator and I have set additions based on that..

I generally add around 21ml of CRS to my full volume of 32 Liters. I think it might be a bit less for bitters I cannot remember.. but it does help "clean" up the brew a bit..

I got some base numbers (with help from forumites) and put them into a water calculator and I have set additions based on that..

I generally add around 21ml of CRS to my full volume of 32 Liters. I think it might be a bit less for bitters I cannot remember.. but it does help "clean" up the brew a bit..

Thanks - I do similar and think I've got the CRS bit nailed down, but am wanting to tweak the other additions, and am thinking that I might not need to add anything else as there should be enough calcium in the water.
Really should invest in a ph meter I suppose.

what I tended to do is I get pot filled with water the day before.. add campden tablet and CRS..

any gypsum is genereally added to my grains.. (I am talking 6 -12 grams only)

I have on occasion had to add epsom salts which normally goes into the boil. (again miniscule amounts)

I do not know really what "actual" effect the gypsum really does.. but I add it anyway.. the first bit with CRS and campden I think really help strip the **** out so to speak..

Back