An Ankoù brewday:

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last I've got round to brewing a batch of Punk IPA. As mentioned earlier, not too confident about the recipes given by Brewdog as far as the IBUs calculation goes and especially as their online version states 35 IBUs, while the book says 40 and running it through Brewer's Friend gives something around 70.
Which punk recipe, new or old? Plus theres a newer iteration round the corner too (they did a punk a or b challenge in the bars recently, I think newer recipe won. I voted for the newer one.)

Which punk recipe, new or old? Plus theres a newer iteration round the corner too (they did a punk a or b challenge in the bars recently, I think newer recipe won. I voted for the newer one.)
It was the post 2010 one after they discovered dry hopping, the one which you can buy in bottles with blue labels. if there's a new version, I'm unaware of it.

You wont have seen the newest version yet. I might brew up the original next I think.
I've never tasted it. Is it any good?
I actually preferred the Dead Pony Club and have got a half-batch (12L) on the go already. In fact I while I was drinking it I thought it would be really nice with English hops, so I've knocked out a half batch of that, too.

It’s more full on than the 2nd iteration. It’s had a rebrew a few years ago but not widely distributed.

Your Duvel clone sounds tasty, how long does it stay in it's prime if it's relying on a dry hop character? Any reason you've not tried Wyeast 1388 which was originally Duvel's strain?

Your Duvel clone sounds tasty, how long does it stay in it's prime if it's relying on a dry hop character? Any reason you've not tried Wyeast 1388 which was originally Duvel's strain?
The only reason is that I didn't have any. The first batch worked great with Saflager W- 34/70 so why fix it if it ain't broke. But, in truth, I wasn't looking to make a Duvel replica, but a Trpel-hop replica as it's the hops she likes and I know how the Weihensteiner works, but not the other one.
About 7-10 days or until the airlock stops glugging, then a cooler fortnight, dry hop and bottle.

The only reason is that I didn't have any. The first batch worked great with Saflager W- 34/70 so why fix it if it ain't broke. But, in truth, I wasn't looking to make a Duvel replica, but a Trpel-hop replica as it's the hops she likes and I know how the Weihensteiner works, but not the other one.
About 7-10 days or until the airlock stops glugging, then a cooler fortnight, dry hop and bottle.
Ah right, that makes sense, thanks. I'm often tempted by brews like this but likely wouldn't get through them quick enough before the hops had faded.

FWIW, I made Duvel clones with M41 and with M44 (hah, due to a packaging error by my supplier). After primary fermentation I put it in secondary for four to six weeks. I would normally make it in December or January so that it can condition in secondary fermentation in my garage.

I noticed a change in the taste of Punk at the pub a couple weeks ago. I wondered if the shortage of Ahtanum means they will be changing the recipe. I made some with Willamette.

I'm not too sure what a Punk brew should taste like, but with the hops given in the recipes section above, it looks as if it should have a heavy "citrus" flavour.

In that case, I cheated by using Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice instead of hops, but it worked for me. athumb..

The Tesco "ordinary" grapefruit juice tastes a lot harsher and it is taking much longer to clear, so I think I will stick with the Pink version in future!

I'm not too sure what a Punk brew should taste like, but with the hops given in the recipes section above, it looks as if it should have a heavy "citrus" flavour.

In that case, I cheated by using Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice instead of hops, but it worked for me. athumb..

The Tesco "ordinary" grapefruit juice tastes a lot harsher and it is taking much longer to clear, so I think I will stick with the Pink version in future!
Cmon Dutto, splash out the £2.50 from Asda and taste Punk! It’s a great beer

Latest posts

Back