and then it alll went wrong !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Regular.
Reaction score
on my third all grain brew today with my home made plastic non shiney set up.

its my own fault really as i was having a bad day anyway, a right mare of a day actually

so any way here todays feck ups,

heated my mash water to 75 degrees ready to cool down with a flaff of shifting it out to the mash tun where apon it decided to drop to 63 degrees when all mixed in, great just what i was planning on

next up is 60 mins later we go to drain it out where apon my filter decideds to fuse its self shut, i could not even get a dribble out, so i did the decent thing and shoved the mixing spoon down the tap to knock it out of place and to use a sieve to catch the grains, simple untill i go off for a cup of tea to come back and find the whole lot in the bottom of my bucket
PIC_3162.jpg

so next flaff is to transfer the whole lot grains and wort into a mesh filter bag and to pour the water through that to sparge, great apart from the six pegs holding it open as it keeps falling in on its self,
PIC_3163.jpg

next up is now waiting for it to drain, the mash stoped at 2pm dead and its now 2.50 pm and its still dribbling out and making me go for a wizz every 3 mins, worse than a running tap

as for every thing else well even thats all falling apart or should i say in two, its surprising how things dont bounce like glass hydrometors

any way when this is all out of the mash tun i will have to refilter it all to remove a lot of the grains that have fallen in so we have bodged up a cake cooling rack and a large flour sieve
PIC_3161.jpg

after this lot i have still do 20 litres of milk into cheese

Some you win.. :thumb: some you loose :pray:

It's all part of the learning curve, after it's all in the FV you'll have to rethink some of your system. Sort out your filter, and have another go.. :clap:

Dieseljockey said:
Some you win.. :thumb: some you loose :pray:

It's all part of the learning curve, after it's all in the FV you'll have to rethink some of your system. Sort out your filter, and have another go.. :clap:

I was considering the stainless mesh route, but went for copper pipe for both mash tun and boiler in the end, the slits were a bit of a pain to cut with a junior hacksaw :oops:

...... but it works a treat :thumb:

k17xhx.jpg

2dkcsuw.jpg

It fit into the bottom of the mash tun a treat.
ztbxcm.jpg

The hop strainer for the boiler was just a simple job again, but fiddly drilling all them holes :!:
2cylfea.jpg

But with the compression joint on the inside of the boiler once the strainer was made it’s easy to fit and take off for cleaning :thumb:
99o16w.jpg

I did use SS braid on my first filter for my mash tun. It worked ok for what it was...

inside.jpg

Now I have a thermopot with a bottom drain....

IMAG0073.jpg

so I picked up a mesh splatter guard..

IMAG0061.jpg

Works a treat..job done

are yes the hop strainer, :shock: :shock:

the one on the window sill next to the boiling wort :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i have just had to jug the whole lot out via mesh screen and into the fermentaion bucket all fecking 23 litres of it.

and then guess,

a great friend of mine how has been talking about me making cheese has just turned up with 25 litres of milk , damaged the wallet for a tenner, i know that cheap, straight from the farm no messing, pinched some of my starter and rennit and know i have to find a load of milk bottles (plastic) and freezer bags and tuberware boxes and any thing else i can find to put this milk in the freezer,

as far as i am concerned this sunday is finished i am off to watch telly and read my books on cheese making :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sods law innit :roll: I had a near miss on my last brew, just getting ready warming the mash tun and realised..... no strainer in the bottom :oops: close call :whistle:

Standard checklist, laminated, does it for me. Just like an airline pilot. There's always something to forget, specially with a hangover :D

ho mate its was just a day when it all went wrong, never mind it all ended up in a bucket and is now fermenting away happily,cause that was another cock up , forgetting to start the yeast the day before.

any way all done and dusted, i think i will rethink both hop and mash strainers for next time, they both lack substance so they need to be either allot bigger to allow more fluid flow or they need to cover more area to all the fluids in.

i dont know if the stainless steel flex is the way forward or not, it depends on what i can get my grubby paws on for free

nightmare mate i agree with one of the above posts that it will probably be one of the best beers so far though so fingers crossed :cheers:

Back