Annoying foam on one of my Cornie taps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a kegerator fridge set up at home and one of the two taps has an annoying habit of dispensing an unusual amount of foam for the first couple of seconds, after which it dispenses beer just fine. If the tap is then left unused for 15 minutes or more, the problem then repeats.
I have tried a range of temperatures and pressures, and the other tap is unaffected by this despite having the same length of beer line. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Could it be caused by a very small amount of air being drawn into the tap over time?

Hmm, I have not experienced this. Do you have clear beer lines & if so can you see gas bubbles / foam in the line?

Have you stripped the tap right down and iven it a good clean / inspection?

Seems like the gas is able to get out of the beer after its been drawn from the keg and is sitting in the lines. Your line isn't room temp is it? Used to happen to me when I had the lines out of the kegerator.

No, the line is inside the fridge and is currently being held at 4°C.
The other tap is fine though so the only thing that I can think of it that when the tap has finished pouring, it is drawing a small amount of air inside the tap mechanism (but not into the line itself) and it is this air that is being forced into the next pint.

it could be a particularly rough cut on a beerline end in a jg fitting? or anything thats changing the dynamic of the beer in the line upto the tap point.. it could be that one pipe runs close to something warm (anything metal at ambient temp?) and for a few secs thats breaking co2 out until its chilled by the beer flowing thru??

Id try to accept it as a feature as long as its just a few secs of foam to contend with, first pint gets a bit xtra head :)

it cant be any sort of leak as the positive pressure would spill the beer and you would know about it.. and if a problem with the keg it would constant not on off imho.

would bug me 2 tho

Thanks for the suggestions. There's no heat source in the fridge that could affect the line so maybe I'll try converting it to a 3/16" pipe and see what effect that has.

Back