Faucet flow rate issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeferge

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm really struggling with the flow speed from my faucet and have struggled to find an answer.

I built a kezzer, the distance between centre point of my corny and tap is 1ft 8in, the kezzer is kept at 4 degrees. The beer was force carbed and appears carbonated on taste. When poured has a normal amount of head, the problem is it is literally taking 30 seconds to pour a full pint.

I've tried the serving pressure between 12 and 20 psi with no real differences. I can't see any blockages and there's no bubbles in the line or issues I can see with the gas e.g leaks.

The line is 3/16 and I've reduced it down to where I currently have only 2ft 8in left! It has sped up slightly but not by a huge amount.

I did mess up brewing day and fermented at 1072 with a FG of 1028, could this be the cause?

The first point would be to ask if you have any issue with foaming. If not then you can consider a length of 3/8 beer line coupled to a 3/8-3/16 reducer and a shorter length of 3/16 beer line to your tap.

In this arrangement the 3/8 beer line offers almost no resistance and high flow rate. The length of 3/16 beer line does provide restriction and helps to balance flow so you don’t get excessive foam. The trick is getting the right length of 3/16 for the level of carbonation - lower carbonation = shorter length of 3/16.

I serve my bitter, mild, and porter through a length of 3/8 beer line and no restriction whatever, this fills the glass pretty quickly. The carbonation though is low with a serving pressure of about 6psi.

The first point would be to ask if you have any issue with foaming. If not then you can consider a length of 3/8 beer line coupled to a 3/8-3/16 reducer and a shorter length of 3/16 beer line to your tap.

In this arrangement the 3/8 beer line offers almost no resistance and high flow rate. The length of 3/16 beer line does provide restriction and helps to balance flow so you don’t get excessive foam. The trick is getting the right length of 3/16 for the level of carbonation - lower carbonation = shorter length of 3/16.

I serve my bitter, mild, and porter through a length of 3/8 beer line and no restriction whatever, this fills the glass pretty quickly. The carbonation though is low with a serving pressure of about 6psi.
Do you swap to 3/16th for higher carbonated beers?

When poured has a normal amount of head, the problem is it is literally taking 30 seconds to pour a full pint.
That’s about how long it takes mine.
Seriously are you in a rush? If the beer tastes good then don’t fret, that’s my advice.

First Welcome to the forum
You will get some good advice in these comments but can I say 30 seconds is not that bad for a good pour a better starting point than some members who suffer from the woeful foaming issue so a good start athumb.. 🎅

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the 3/8th arrangement a go after Christmas.

Having worked in bars I'm just used to a faster pour I guess. I don't mind pouring a pint over 30 seconds but would prefer a bit more speed if I had a few people over.

As others, my pour rate is similar - just what it is like pouring from a home set up.

Thanks again for the advice, I've replaced the line with 6ft of 3/8 and that's done the trick! Pouring a pint at 12 seconds now without any issues.

Latest posts

Back