Another golden ale!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some ingredients for another golden ale, wondered if anyone had suggestions for hop schedule. I do need to use up the ernest (open pack) but other than that an open to suggestions.

Looking to be around 5%, otter, probably some cara pils.

100g challenger
100g ernest
100g harlequin
50g jester
50g Bramling X
200g first gold

Yeast cml 5 or Atlantic.

Here's my recipe for Harlequin. I'm very pleased with it. The calculations refer to making a 20 litre batch on the cooker in a 15 litre max stockpot so there's some liquoring back. No need to do that, of course. I also aim to use a whole 100g of hops in a 20 litre batch to minimise leftovers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220818_110604.jpg
    IMG_20220818_110604.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's my recipe for Harlequin. I'm very pleased with it. The calculations refer to making a 20 litre batch on the cooker in a 15 litre max stockpot so there's some liquoring back. No need to do that, of course. I also aim to use a whole 100g of hops in a 20 litre batch to minimise leftovers.

Blimey, that looks like an old recipe!

I've decided to keep my powder dry re the Harlequin...

And gone with Challenger to bitter, First Gold mid to late hops, with ernest late boil and a mix of first gold/jester/ernest whirlpool! IBU 40, just finished the boil so am cooling now and will check the OG later. Cheers all!

Hi all,

I have some ingredients for another golden ale, wondered if anyone had suggestions for hop schedule. I do need to use up the ernest (open pack) but other than that an open to suggestions.

Looking to be around 5%, otter, probably some cara pils.

100g challenger
100g ernest
100g harlequin
50g jester
50g Bramling X
200g first gold

Yeast cml 5 or Atlantic.
For this kind of beer I think you could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of @foxbat 's book...

If you look at a lot of his recipes you'll see he bitters with something like Magnum, or as you say, Challenger...

And then he adds flavour/aroma hops at 15, 10 & 5 mins, roughly in the ratios 1 : 1.4 : 2

(I can't remember now exactly which brewery he got this from)

So you might do:
10g hop @ 15mins
14g hop @ 10mins
20g hop @ 5mins

Obviously you need to adjust the total amount of bittering & flavour/aroma hops to suit the beer.

I've used this approach in quite a few of my beers, many of which you've tried (I think you might even have liked some of them 😂).

For this kind of beer I think you could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of @foxbat 's book...

If you look at a lot of his recipes you'll see he bitters with something like Magnum, or as you say, Challenger...

And then he adds flavour/aroma hops at 15, 10 & 5 mins, roughly in the ratios 1 : 1.4 : 2

(I can't remember now exactly which brewery he got this from)

So you might do:
10g hop @ 15mins
14g hop @ 10mins
20g hop @ 5mins

Obviously you need to adjust the total amount of bittering & flavour/aroma hops to suit the beer.

I've used this approach in quite a few of my beers, many of which you've tried (I think you might even have liked some of them 😂).

Funny you mention @foxbat , my previous brew, a first gold bitter was a copy of his Mainline bitter! But yes, that it pretty much what I did in this one with a big whirlpool addition too.

Latest posts

Back