Another one of the old timers has gone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jim Bowen: Comedian and former Bullseye host dies at 80

_100416919_gettyimages-82145759.jpg

BBC News.

Broadcaster and comedian Jim Bowen, best known for hosting darts-based game show Bullseye in the 1980s and '90s, has died at the age of 80.

His wife Phyllis confirmed the news to BBC Radio Lancashire.

The former deputy headmaster, who lived in North Lancashire, began his career as a stand-up comedian on the club circuit in the 1960s.

He became a household name when he began presenting Bullseye in 1981. The Sunday tea time show ran for 14 years.

It attracted 17.5 million viewers at its peak and involved three pairs of contestants - with a "thrower", who would throw the darts, and a "knower", who would answer general knowledge questions.

Bowen became known for catchphrases including "Super, smashing, great", "You can't beat a bit of Bully!" and "Let's look at what you could have won".

Another favourite phrase - "keep out of the black and in to the red, nothing in this game for two in a bed" - referred to the segments of the darts board that the players had to hit.

His warm-hearted and quick-witted rapport with the contestants was a big part of the show's appeal.

Bowen became Bullseye host after appearing on ITV show The Comedians, alongside the likes of Frank Carson, Russ Abbott and Bernard Manning.

He also had a number of TV acting roles, including in Muck and Brass, Jonathan Creek, The Grimleys, and as Hoss Cartwright in the second series of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights.

Jimbo was alright but I got a problem with Bullseye cos they turned down my mate and me when we applied to go on the show at its height. I know we were deeply unphotogenic and would probably have got the show banned, but all the same...

Latest posts

Back