Ants all over my hop plant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I have Ants all over my hop plant. Looks like they're eating small insects. Good or bad ? What do you use for pest control
16852031011097551164800124060227.jpg
16852031011097551164800124060227.jpg

Yeh, sorry for the poor picture, there are definitely aphids on there and it looks like the ants are eating them. Should I get some sort of spray or let the ants do their thing.

If the ants are farming the aphids the aphids will damage your plant and the ants will predate any other insects and remove them. So you'll need to deal with them if your plant starts suffering. Aphid farming ants collect a liquid that the aphids produce. If the ants are eating the aphids leave them to it.

Yeh, sorry for the poor picture, there are definitely aphids on there and it looks like the ants are eating them. Should I get some sort of spray or let the ants do their thing.

Maybe just check the hop plant isn't being too damaged, I would err on not using pesticide if the ants are doing it for you, that said I sprayed the sh#t out of my honeysuckle yesterday after I saw it was infested with aphids.

If aphid infection is well confined you can just remove the parts with parasites.
Otherwise you can try with neem oil. It works quite well and it's much ligther (both for humans and environment)

Last edited:
If the ants are farming the aphids the aphids will damage your plant and the ants will predate any other insects and remove them. So you'll need to deal with them if your plant starts suffering. Aphid farming ants collect a liquid that the aphids produce. If the ants are eating the aphids leave them to it.
What Clint said. Ants will bring aphids onto plants and farm them; they take honeydew from the feeding aphids and sometimes they eat the rebels that don't behave. In general ants are not doing your vines any good. ...retired bug guy.

Yes, as mentioned, the ants are probably farming the Aphids. The Aphids feed on the sap of the plant and secrete honeydew which the ants feed on. In return the ants protect the Aphids from natural predators, like ladybirds etc. A mild soap solution, again as has been mentioned previously could be enough to drive the Aphids away.

As I recall from school, the ants keep the aphids in special underground chambers in the nest when they're farmed. Let the ants go for a while longer to see if the aphid colony collapses. If not, use a liquid soap, water, and lime mix in a sprayer.

Any stress on the plant will affect its yield.

Woodash, will get the ants to move on, but then you need to address the aphids.

Ladybirds will not stop ant farming they just get mobbed by the ants ime.

I am trialling a very very hot chilli infused spray this year.

Back