Any homebrew facepalm moments?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it might smell of a lovely summers day or lavender or....

Dont suppose you have ever been pumping into the boiler and had the flexible end jump out?
Sticks the kitchen up a real treat!!
When your first dumb a**ed thought is to put your finger over the end. You get a cracking pattern on your shirt!!

several! more's the pitty.

overitghtening the car jack in my home made press - big bits of wood flying across kitchen, a mess of pressed apple to clear up, and 1/2 a gal of apple juice all over the floor, which after using the mop to clear up, realised was not useable.

not adding the yeast, and wondering why after 7 days the fermentation hadn't started.

trying to explain to swmbo the help that I was about to need, tilting the DJ, whilst bottling, and not paying attention to the bottle that was currently filling - I noticed that my finger (over the end of the syphon tube, used to block flow) was wet, and wine was flowing out of bottle over the chair, and onto the floor.

Losing two batches of beer to "phenol/medicinal taste" and then finding out you have to rinse VWP was pretty shitty. also, not my fault, but a faulty pressure release cap on my plastic keg made for an interesting explosion when gassing!

alanywiseman said:
Had a bit of a moment yeasterday. I have finally got round to attaching my little bottler to my FV so thought that the best way to sanatize it would be to use a spray bottle. looking in our cuboards I found we had to half used bottle of Fabreeze so emptied one into the other and started rinsing it out.

So it came time yesterday to bottle my christmas ale and set off with improved bottling bucket and spray bottle of starsan. For the sake of easy I also used the spray bottle to sanatise my bottle. bottling took about 80 mins but it was not till I got to my last few bottles I noticed a funny 'foam' on the beer as I was filling it. I smell of the bottles confirmed that there was Fabreeze present :oops:

I am :pray: that the beer tastes fine however it will probably be lacking aroma :lol: :lol:

at least when you burp you'll have fresh breath!

abeyptfc said:
alanywiseman said:
Had a bit of a moment yeasterday. I have finally got round to attaching my little bottler to my FV so thought that the best way to sanatize it would be to use a spray bottle. looking in our cuboards I found we had to half used bottle of Fabreeze so emptied one into the other and started rinsing it out.

So it came time yesterday to bottle my christmas ale and set off with improved bottling bucket and spray bottle of starsan. For the sake of easy I also used the spray bottle to sanatise my bottle. bottling took about 80 mins but it was not till I got to my last few bottles I noticed a funny 'foam' on the beer as I was filling it. I smell of the bottles confirmed that there was Fabreeze present :oops:

I am :pray: that the beer tastes fine however it will probably be lacking aroma :lol: :lol:

at least when you burp you'll have fresh breath!

If that is true SWMBO will ask me to do it with every brew!

i made a Jamaican style gingerbeer the recipe called for 500g of fresh OR 250g dry ginger, i added both, and then i added a tablespoon of Vhot chilli powder rather than the 1/4 tspoon called for.

after a half pint your mouth was numb and tingly, like about 2 hours after a dentist injection, but without the pain, well without most of the pain :) yep id rather sink a few pints of that than go to the dentist.

it went Very well 1/2 and 1/2 with fruit juice..

ive made 2 batches since, closer to the original recipe,, but no one will taste it :(

On my second ever brew i was syphoning into my keg, seemed to be going ok. Turned my back for a few mins and upon my return found i'd left the tap open and at least 5 pints of stout were soaking into my carpet :oops: :oops: :oops:
The stain is still there to this day :x

Apart from the usual leaving taps in the on position when they should be off, I did also forget my two times table when marking up volumes on my boiler..... couldnt understand why I kept missing my volume by two liters......

Latest posts

Back