any mobile phone gurus out there

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have three apps on my mobi on the s.d card. I tried to download another and I got the message insufficient storage space left. I looked at some of the other apps I have and when I tried to move them on the s.d card from the phone I can't. I can move the three on the s.d card to the phone but can't move any other from the phone to the s.d card when I click on my downloads the s.d icon is shaded ie so I can't click on it to move it across.
I have a 2g s.d card and have 1.6g left on it.
I was advised at work to get a bigger s.d card which I did today to 4g but looks like iv wasted a tenner as I still can't move any other than the three I have on the s.d already.

Hope you can understand what I'm on about and offer some advice :cheers:

Only some apps can be moved to the SD card, not all of them. I assume it is quite an old phone running quite an old operating system. Sounds to me as if it's your phone out of space not your SD card.

In my opinion it's time for a new phone.

My wife's old HTC Desire became basically useless as a smart phone as it ran out of space.

One thing you can try is to go into each of the apps and clear the data and the cache, things like Facebook, Twitter and internet browsers eat up a lot of phone memory in cache.

I'm not a guru, but I've just had a look at mine (SG4) and I can move any app to my SD card that I have installed but not the one's that came pre-installed.

Matt

Thanks Guys. Feared the worse. Its build is gingerbread. And a Samsung GT- S5690. Android version 2.3.6.
Iv only had it a year and half.
Will have to save up then.
:cheers:

have you tried going into "settings" scroll down to "about device" and then "software update" it should update to a newer version of android, you will need to have wifi on or data on, might work, you have nowt to lose.

:drink:

Out of interest, have you got 'copy protect' or similar enabled on the SD card ??

This is sometimes a tiny little plastic switch on the side of the SD card that stops accidental deletion/removal/addition from the card ???

If its not a physical switch - your phone will have a specific memory card 'section' in its SETUP menu - find it and uncheck 'protect' or similar.

I'd be surprised if its a memory thing.. if it was, other parts of the phone would be struggling and also, if you got space for a program to MOVE TO, not having memory on another part of the device wouldn't make a difference. Ie:: Having a full phone memory won't make any difference if your trying to move a program off the FULL phone to an empty memory card.

You mention that your SD card has 1.6gb of data left on it so really and truthfully, you should'nt be having any issues.

One thing to be aware of - phone program manfacturers will create programs that will 'store' themselves on SD cards but the .exe files (or executables - the program that starts the program) will be on the phone. This means that when you delete the app, they are still on your phone gathering useful data. And when you come to re-install them, most of the work is done for you.

1.) Check to see whether the SD card has some sort of copy protect option enabled.
2.) If yeah, remove it and move things around. It'll be a bit of a chess thing - moving this and that around, but it should work.
3.) If no - can you connect to your computer via USB and back up?? If yeah, back everything up, re-format the lot and when you come to 'back up' your phone, remove the memory card that you DONT want. Add the memory card you do want and the phone should automatically sort it all out for you. This will automatically 'format' your new 4gb card and add the software you want.

WW

That phone does only have 150 Mb of internal memory, which is why it is running Gingerbread. Neither Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean or Kit Kat will fit. There are workarounds but you need to Root your phone in order to do it.

Billybacarde. Yest tried that mate. Auto update was on but I tried update software anyway. No joy. It just said no updates.

Welsh Wizard. No switch on s.d card mate. But I'm looking at reformatting the phone back to factory settings to see how that goes.
One thing I have learnt is. I know my way better around my phone now :)

May I just add. The people on this forum are so helpful to anyone who has a problem. No micky taking or snide remarks. Thanks to everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

as its an older phone memery space is low. after the reset turn the auto update off in the market and uninstall any preloaded apps to there basic format( like google maps, video, photos, play movies and tv, google+, hangouts, twitter, facebook) is you dont use them dont update or install them in the first place. programs like es task manager help with things like that

Runwell-Steve is right in what he says :thumb:

You can get a free app on GooglePlay called App2SD which may help slightly - even with apps which cannot be entirely moved to the SD card, it can allow you to move some of the app files to the SD card freeing up just that tiny extra bit of phone memory.

I have an HTC Desire too so have come across the same problem. As well as using App2SD, I uninstalled the Facebook app which used a whopping 46MB of the phones limited internal memory and that helped a lot too. If I need to use Facebook now, I just go in through the browser as it is quite usable that way...

Thanks for that Martin. May i firstly thank you for your help re log in problens a few weeks ago.
I downloaded the app and it didnt find any to move. Lol. I down loaded avg cleaner and that has given me a few more mbs thou.

cask is best said:
Thanks for that Martin. May i firstly thank you for your help re log in problens a few weeks ago.

No problem, happy to help :thumb:

cask is best said:
I downloaded the app and it didnt find any to move. Lol. I down loaded avg cleaner and that has given me a few more mbs thou.

Shame - as a manual double check, go into setting then Applications then Manage applications then press on each application in turn - you should get a screen giving you some info about the app - I found several where there was a "Move to SD" button despite the App2SD saying none were moveable. That helped me out a bit too :thumb:

been there. Done that mate. Checked everyone of em.
I have 20 odd mb of free space at the more. Could maybe download one or two apps by deleating one.
Lesson learnt thou next phone ill get a big memory one. swmbo has a windows omnia no sd card but has 7g storage. she's had it for about 3 years. Granted you have to use windows apps instead of google but i reckon they will just be as many.
cheers.

cask is best said:
been there. Done that mate. Checked everyone of em.
I have 20 odd mb of free space at the more. Could maybe download one or two apps by deleating one.
Lesson learnt thou next phone ill get a big memory one. swmbo has a windows omnia no sd card but has 7g storage. she's had it for about 3 years. Granted you have to use windows apps instead of google but i reckon they will just be as many.
cheers.

Oh well, worth a try :cool:

Strictly speaking, the phone has "enough" memory but the operating system will not allow all apps to be moved to the SD card. Partly also, some app vendors do not you running apps from the SD card since it slows them down. You can in theory put a newer operating system on it but I doubt it is worth the hassle...

Good luck with it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back