Any woodworkers/carpenters?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm trying to unscrew a fitted wardrobe cupboardy type thing. I want to unscrew it because if I rip it off, it might rip half the wall down with it.

Some of the screws are amazingly tight though. As in I just cant get them to budge with a screw driver.

Anyone have any tips for loosening woodscrews?

Sounds daft but use a long shafted screw driver, it make a huge difference!
Are you looking at re using the wardrobes, if not use a metal chissel to shear the head off of the screws

Failing that give the handle end of the screwdriver a whack whilst its on the screw that can also work.

(Edited several times for clarity)

give the screws a squirt of wd40. Put your biggest screwdriver in position and give it a whack with a mallet. Then unscrew.

piddledribble said:
give the screws a squirt of wd40. Put your biggest screwdriver in position and give it a whack with a mallet. Then unscrew.

WD40?
I knew that worked on metal bolts (etc) but didn't know it worked on wood screws?

You learn something every day :clap:

WD40 acts as a lubricant, not as good as a silicone spray but effective...

And if the shovel doesnt work, drill the head of the bugger out. :thumb:

You'll be able to then get a pair of vice-grips onto what's left when the cupboard is removed.

It might sound daft but make sure the screwdriver bit is the right size and pattern - pozi and Philips look similar but Re very different in terms of seating and fully engaging in the screwhead

Lean Hard onto the screwdriver, and turn the screwdriver with a spanner.

Of course if it is in really tight You shear the head off the screw :oops:

Well its been a fun day so far! I dont know how the eff whoever put the things in managed it but some are totally buried under the wood.

I have resorted to a saw and brute force to lever the members out, rawl plugs and all, where possible, but for the bits where its attached to the wooden floor which we want to restore, I have had to dig the screw head out with a stanley knife!

Ruddy hard work. Now I have sore wrists and palms (jokes write themselves) and I'm going to drink beer for the rest of the day! :cheers:

Some pics

DSC_0098_zps3c895fcf.jpg

DSC_0099_zps2db99c3d.jpg

DSC_0100_zps57ca6a5e.jpg

You can buy an impact driver very cheeply which is pretty much guaranteed to move them.

Latest posts

Back