anyone ever tried grown bacteria after sanitising?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
For fun im gonna get a mini brew zoo going and try different sanitisers on my FV and see if anything grows.

Anyone ever done this before and what were your results?

none of the plates will be opened, im gonna dump them straight after ive exposed them to extreme heat.

The sanitisers I'm going to use are

Hot water
Bleach
Oxi
Bruclens
Isopropyl Alcohol
Campden

Will you try various dilution of bleach ? It's rarely used pure ... or is it ? :-?

Will you try various dilution of bleach ? It's rarely used pure ... or is it ? :-?

Actually, on the subject of bleach. Apparently a dilute solution of bleach which has been acidified by the addition of white vinegar is about 80x more effective than standard bleach solution.

The US measurements are something like one cup of cheapo thin bleach to 5 US gallons of water and one cup of white vinegar (never add the vinegar directly to the bleach, unless you want to be gassed).

This was extolled by the Star-San founder as a cheap and effective no rinse sanitiser. I'd love to know how effective it was compared to other products.

Actually, on the subject of bleach. Apparently a dilute solution of bleach which has been acidified by the addition of white vinegar is about 80x more effective than standard bleach solution.

The US measurements are something like one cup of cheapo thin bleach to 5 US gallons of water and one cup of white vinegar (never add the vinegar directly to the bleach, unless you want to be gassed).

This was extolled by the Star-San founder as a cheap and effective no rinse sanitiser. I'd love to know how effective it was compared to other products.

I've been using this since last summer, no problems so far.
35ml each of vinegar and bleach to 20L of water was the recipe I came across. I've been using a shot measure of each, so probably a but more than 35ml but close enough.

Apparently it greatly increases the disinfecting power of the bleach as it's also an acidic environment à la starsan.

Also as it's cheap as chips I use the leftovers to fill my waterbath for the FV's to ke p if from going all nasty after a few weeks...

I don't use Star San so that one is out im afraid.

To be honest boiling water is almost as good as bleach if you can maintain temperature.

In a nutshell, bleach and hot water attack proteins in bacteria where they then start to lose structure and die. If you boil an egg, the white clumps together which is basically what happens to the proteins in bacteria when exposed to hypochlorite or heat. Once proteins lose structure they cannot function.

There isn't really any evidence to suggest that adding anything to bleach makes it more effective in denaturing proteins.

I'll also try different bleach concentrations too.

In this podcast with Charlie Talley, the founder of Star San chemicals, he suggests acidifying very diluted bleach solution to make a no rinse sanitiser. You can skip to 9 minutes to avoid the intro.

I'm impressed he doesn't just plug his own products.

There isn't really any evidence to suggest that adding anything to bleach makes it more effective in denaturing proteins.

I'll also try different bleach concentrations too.

Bleach works much more effectively in an acid environment. Swimming pool water chemistry 101!

I'll get round to posting up some pics tonight, had a bit of a delay in things

+1 add starsan to the list. Have you got proper sterilised petri dishes with agar and an incubator?? Sounds exciting (sad ex biochemist who grew a lot of bacteria in the 1980's)

Latest posts

Back